Would you tell 1700s guy he dropped a coin?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Would you tell 1700's guy he dropped a coin?

Was detecting an old site where I've found a couple of colonial coins and got to thinking how cool it would be to be able to go back and see how the person lost the coin. Then was thinking, would I tell them they dropped it if I could, knowing I wouldn't find it 200 + years later? Thoughts?

Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Re: Would you tell 1700's guy he dropped a coin?

Not me....I would also bury my own cache of coins from that period

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck no!!! Back then money was hard to come by. Besides we wouldn't be able to find any coins today. ??? ??? ??? Burdie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you went back and told the guy he dropped it, you wouldn't have found it to go back and tell him he dropped it. To think of all the silver coins I spent up to 1964.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Actually the most interesting for me was detecting Civil War Battle sites for the first time. Digging up a fired Minnie and knowing exactly what date it was fired. Also you could tell from the character of the ball and it's position which side fired it. Just knowing the last person to touch it was over 100 years ago was always awesome to me. Did he survive or was he buried in the nearby mass grave?

I see the Archies were able to track movement of individual troopers on the Custer Battlefield site because they could ID the markings on individual casing. I guess each rifle had a different strike pattern.

George

A

abrakdabra

Above a poster wrote, 'back then money was hard to come by'. I heard that people
are nine times richer, in general, than those who lived in 1500.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wouldn't you like to take a years salary from now and go back to the 1800's and buy up coins (gold and silver key dates) bury them in a really safe spot and now go dig them up. Do a little Back to the Future TH'ing.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

I'd just like to travel back in time really......... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds cool, but with my luck every darn one I buried would be under a shopping mall nowdays! Monty

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I could go back in time, I'd go back to yesterday and buy the winning Powerball ticket, and then come right back to today. But the 1700s and 1800s would be cool to visit too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread