Would You Try To Find It ?

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
While at an easter gathering last sunday I was talking to an older gentleman & he was telling me
that his father lost a railroad pocket watch in the hayfield years ago . The watch had a locomotive
engraved on it . This gentleman still owns the property & said I could look if I wanted to . The problem
is , it's a very large field & he doesn't have any idea where in the field the watch was lost at .

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
WV Hillbilly

Go for it. Chance for hunting, you may not find
the watch but who knows what will pop up. :wink:

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mechanism is toast but if the case is gold it's worth the gold. If a harrow or plow smacked it a few times it may well be pretty crumpled, but gold is gold.

What the heck. Might be some other goodies in the soil, too. Maybe he'll feel sorry for you and let you hunt around the house as well.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
helllllllll yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What the others said.

S

stefen

Hay field? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Planning on retiring someday?

Lets see...gotta cover every square foot of the field...acre by acre...Hmmmmmmmmmm

An acre a day....2 days each weekend....XXX acres / 2 = y years

Nope!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've just been given open permission to search a new area, that possibly has never been touched by a detector... and maybe end up leading you to more leads through this man, regardless if you find the watch... yeah, I'd definitely say jump on that!! I know I would!!!

Bran <><

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I"d sure give it a try. As others mentioned - you never know what might turn up and if you don't try - you never will. Go for it.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
He said the farm has been in his family since 1821 . He built a new house but said the old one is still
standing . He also said some years ago while hanging up clothes the clothesline flipped up and knocked
one of his mothers diamond earrings out . Someone with a metal detector came over & tried to find the
earring but failed . His mother had the diamond out of the other earring set in a ring . I never asked him
if I could detect the old housesite but he is a close friend of my wifes family & I think he would probably
let me . I jokingly asked him if there was a reward for finding the watch & he said he wouldn't charge me
anything for looking . :) He said there was 300 & some acres in the old homeplace & he owned 40 some
acres down the road . I don't know about looking in the hayfield for the old watch but I probably should
ask him about the old house site . I can't imagine searching the field inch by inch ( so to speak ) but I
might give it a fast once over . My CZ3D will give a high tone on a gold object that large so it might be
worth a quick once over .

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
I WOULD FOCUS LONG AND HARD ON THAT 1821 HOMESTEAD
REMIND HIM HE,S A FREIND OF THE WIFE,
VISIT HIM IN PERSON AND SHOW HIM YOUR DETECTOR.
FIND SOME ONE WHO HE IS FREINDS WITH AND BECOME FREINDS WITH THEM

AN 1821 HOME IS LIKE THE BEST SITE IN MY OPPINION
WITH MY LUCK YOU WOULDNT FIND ANYTHING THE FIRST TIME BUT KEEP GOING BACK!
STAY FRESH ON HIS MIND AND CALL HIM TONIGHT
PS. DO YOU LIVE CLOSE TO NORTHWEST OHIO I WOULD LIKE TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCOTT

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Paul,
I'd go for it.Ask a lot more questions.Was he sythe mowing,horse mowing,or tractor farming?The likely rest points are all different and those would be the places I would 'hotshot'.Failing that;since it's close,I would do what I have been doing in a 35 acre meadow on our place that goes back to 1700's.
When the devil is in me and I'm short of time I sweep another windrow across the field.Someday I will have it covered.
Whatcha gottto lose.
Jim

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Go for it!

Good Luck
Steve

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On your mark...
Get set...
Detect!!!

And when you find the watch, take the long way back to the owner. Via the old homestead, head down, coil swinging. Good Luck!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I can't believe your not there yet!
Good luck and Happy Hunting

Desertfox

metal chick

Mar 25, 2008
Oh I would definitely do it! You never know what you will find and the property seems to have history - goes way back, so you may find some great stuff there. Of course since it's so large, just do sections at a time, and eventually you may get discouraged if you're not finding anything, but at least start and see how far you get!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread