Would you try to hunt a construction site?

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have done it a lot,with some good results. permission is usually easy to get from the job foreman once he understands you will be doing it while they are not working. good luck and H.H.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hit it before it gets rolled or pressed, they usually will not mind as long as you ask and let them know you are not excavating, just popping the possible shallow goodies out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For demolition sites/scrapes to be good to hunt, there needs to have been something there before-hand. Ie.: some sort of history to the area, like if it's in an old-town district, and perhaps there were earlier "board and batton" districts on the area.

And yes, they can be good. After 5pm when the workers cut out for the day is a magical time.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
For demolition sites/scrapes to be good to hunt, there needs to have been something there before-hand. Ie.: some sort of history to the area, like if it's in an old-town district, and perhaps there were earlier "board and batton" districts on the area.

And yes, they can be good. After 5pm when the workers cut out for the day is a magical time.

What Tom said...
Also if you go, hunt any dirt that has been pushed around the site, should look like what is already there. If they have pushed off a building and scraped back the surrounding dirt, you find find a few things, but be warned, you'll find lots of trashy targets as well. Don't bother too much with the "fill" dirt that has been brought in.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
yeah, what they said. but find out what was on the site previously. good luck

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experiences.

If you get permission from the foreman etc. and you don't have a permission form made up make sure you get his complete name & a contact number (cell phone). If you are confronted by security or police and you have info handy for them to contact the foreman nine times out of ten they'll just leave you alone. If you just tell em Joe the foreman told me I could, you'll be on your way looking for somewhere else to hunt.

Grab a generic release of liability form. Staples sells em. If they hym & ha about giving you permission tell them you'd be glad to fill one out for them in case you hurt yourself. Most times you'll get permission.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you have to lose? Go for it.

Ya don't have to fill plugs, but you do have to scrape the ground level.

And don't forget the fill dirt - it had to come from somewhere........

HH!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well like everyone else said, talk to the foreman and get permission. Especially if it's fenced off. Stay away from their materials and equipment so no one gets the idea you might be "casing" the place to come rob them later. Most times no one will care so long as you don't get in their way, or disrupt the work. Of course if it was my job site I'd probably have already been out there, but I'd still tell you to have at it ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread