Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An early morning hunt in the city....

Yes, my soldier's seen better days, but this die-cast lead figure is the largest toy figure remnant I've found to date; it bears some of the original paint. Down about 7 inches, it was my last find of this morning's hunt in Baltimore City. On the south side of the park I dug a 19th century suspender clip piece; it has a clear patent date of "1856 & 70", so it may be the one piece today that broke the century barrier for me. Along the way came 4 wheats dating '26, '39, '40 and '52. Good to get out and swing the coil before getting on with the day's work.
Finds.jpg

Upvote 14
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! Was thinking of applying for NYC detecting permit. My wife's sister lives at 190th St and is near Fort Washington Park. Have you detected there?

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the die-cast solder may be one of Barclays, The Bugler.
Barclay Bugler.jpg

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McDig, you are correct on the Barclay Bugler, congrats! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sub! I didn't hold much hope in identifying the piece, but there are some distinctive features that helped, along with good internet sources.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Looked like a chunk of metal when it first came out, but with a rub I could see it had detail.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats romeo-1! These have some age on them. The paint job must be decent, considering mine had a good amount left after all those years in the ground.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cool finds. :occasion14: I like lead toys too. They always bring a smile when I see them in the hole. They are rarer than Indian Heads in my area.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D! I was anxious to field-clean the suspender buckle and, wouldn't you know it', I knocked one of the two clasps off in the process. Down it fell amongst the grass. I tried pin-pointing it, but to no avail. Upside is that it's and old piece and cleaned up well with a couple applications of peroxide.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my first lead soldier this winter, and Sub ID'd it for me. I really like them!

The suspender clip is really nice too, extra ornate!

Well done sir!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks L-D! I was anxious to field-clean the suspender buckle and, wouldn't you know it', I knocked one of the two clasps off in the process. Down it fell amongst the grass. I tried pin-pointing it, but to no avail. Upside is that it's and old piece and cleaned up well with a couple applications of peroxide.

I think we have all damages or even ruined some finds when we try to clean them in the field or even at the house. Some things just get brittle with age. We live and learn.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find. Toys are one of my favorite finds especially the old ones. Congratulations!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! I love finding the old lead toys. We don't found them very often but, enough. My last one was an Indian chief and it still had a lot of original paint left on it.
Last year the boy and I hit a early 1900's yard and found a whole army of WW1 lead men. Lol At one spot I found 16 in a small 3 foot area.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finding old lead toys is also a favorite find of mine. Frustrating when pieces are missing. I have an indian that needs help. I have whistles, animals, soldiers, cars, trolleys, trumpets, a rocking horse, guns, and baby cradle that are all lead. And now lead causes cancer? Go figure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions