Wow, $200 of CWR dimes actually pennies

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how many times this guys done that. He just made off with $172.80 of free money.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude that sucks, some people are that low... I think the bank will honor it but you never know..

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Bummer - if you have an account with the bank you might have some leverage. They may be able to track them if they find out early enough. Good luck on getting satisfaction.

Maine_Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad, but once you leave the bank it's too late. If you return with the gripe, they may say "who's pulling the scam now."

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks man...Im guessin thats why my bank wont even take rolled change anymore

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my main dump bank won't even accept cwr, they make you put your change through the coin machine unless I get a solid 2013 box of coins or solid dated rolls(new coins on both ends) they will accept unopened MWR's.

The coin machine is a thief as well stealing about $2-3 each time in miscounts.
That sucks man...Im guessin thats why my bank wont even take rolled change anymore

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up $200 worth of CWR dimes at a branch on Saturday and just cracked them open to find a dime on each end and the rest all pennies. Think the bank will honor that?

That is just evil

Wow! That sucks! All the rolls were like that? Occasionally I get one or two cents in a dime roll but that is just criminal what happened to you. Get back to that bank ASAP. They have everything on video and while there is no way for them to determine if you were the scammer or the scammee, if you are well known at this bank it could work in your favor. I would do everything possible to get this criminal busted.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with mercury...

Even if they dont give you a refund, get them to find out who it was... hopefully they were brought in recently, and not months ago.

yeah 1 or 2 random pennies, fine whatever, but 98% of pennies is criminal for sure.

I wonder how much time it took to cram pennies into a dime roll... lol. I know when ive found a random penny or two, it made it real hard to get it out of the wrapper.

HH

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why the entire concept of CWR makes no sense to me, from a bank/business perspective. No banks around here even deal with them that I know of. I mean, the denomination is smaller, but accepting CWR is basically like accepting a stack of $20s without counting them or even checking to see if they are actually all $20's.

The only way CWR would make sense to me from a basic business perspective is if banks only took rolls from well-established customers, and ID'd them somehow on the outside so that they could always trace them back to the exact customer. Even then, it seems like more hassle than it'd be worth to them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why the entire concept of CWR makes no sense to me, from a bank/business perspective. No banks around here even deal with them that I know of. I mean, the denomination is smaller, but accepting CWR is basically like accepting a stack of $20s without counting them or even checking to see if they are actually all $20's.

The only way CWR would make sense to me from a basic business perspective is if banks only took rolls from well-established customers, and ID'd them somehow on the outside so that they could always trace them back to the exact customer. Even then, it seems like more hassle than it'd be worth to them.
THe town I live in isn't small. No shortage of banks and CU's here, I have accounts at multiple banks and only one has a counter. I know of only one other bank that has a counter here, and I've been in almost every one. It's not unusual for me to go out and pick up 2 grand in cwr coin between 2 or 3 banks, so I assume that varies in different parts of the US. I get lots of account #'s on rolls, and I get blank rolls...hopefully the OP's bank can trace an account# or review the cameras for info...good luck to the OP.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all the wrappers were the same, take 1 or 2 good examples of them in if you go back. This way they can see what the rolls looked like and odds are they may have more still in their vault. They will check the ones they still have and if they start seeing pennies galore, they just very well may reimburse your money. Hopefully they have the guys account number on the rolls. GL and i hope they treat you well, it really depends on your relationship with the bank.

Virtual Paul

Feb 23, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is crazy. Please keep us updated. I suppose the days of CWR limited due to this. Its funny in the old days, the bank used to want your account # on every roll. Now they don't seem to care.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is horrible. I know there are a few people that have done that to my pickup bank. They said they only accept rolls of cents, nickels, and half dollars now. They had someone bring in $500 worth of dime rolls and they didn't check and there were dimes on both ends and cents on the inside. I hope you get your money back! The bank should check dime rolls and make sure they aren't all cents.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is crazy. Please keep us updated. I suppose the days of CWR limited due to this. Its funny in the old days, the bank used to want your account # on every roll. Now they don't seem to care.

I think it is now illegal for them to ask for this. Privacy laws.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is now illegal for them to ask for this. Privacy laws.

I get cwrs with account numbers, names, addresses, phone numbers etc all the time but usually the letters are backed out by a permanent marker but if you look close enough you can make out what was written.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow oh wow- I thought I got hosed when I got $400 in cwr dimes and every roll had a couple foreign coins in them- I was shorted about $12-15 total- hope you get it sorted out

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get cwrs with account numbers, names, addresses, phone numbers etc all the time but usually the letters are backed out by a permanent marker but if you look close enough you can make out what was written.

Yes, I see the same thing. Some people still do it because that's how they've always done it but the banks won't ask for it. My tellers black it out sometimes but not always.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread