WOW! Another treasure lead today!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Well, at this rate, I'll have more leads than I can ever follow up on in a month's time!

I went to a wildlife dinner tonight (lots of wild game to eat...bear, deer, elk, caribou, moose, antelope, gator, etc...) and talked to a guy I've know for a while but never got into the dtetcting topic with him. Whe I mentioned detecting, he told me about 2 old homesites on his property, and better yet, another treasure story.

He told me that a couple hundred years ago some plague (bubonic or black I think) ran rampant in New Orleans. He said several well-to-do people grouped up and formed a wagon train to flee the plague, heading to savanna Georgia. One man in the bunch had dissentary. He said they came to this area of the state and set up camp one night. They buried the treasure they were carrying built the camp fire over it. The man with dissentary went into the woods to do his "business". While he was there, indians attacked the group. He hid in the woods during the attack. The indians killed them all, and ransacked the wagons, but never found the treasure. With no horses left, and no means to carry or protect the treasure, he made his way to savannah. When he got there, he told his story and gave an approximation of where the treasure was buried. Searchers never found it. The approximate area of burial is right here in my county, and the man who told me the story said he knows where the old road was...in fact it runs through his property. WOW!

I gotta find time to follow up on this stuff! Any ideas on where to gather more info on this stuff? How could I find out who fled new orleans to savannah to escape the plague? (to verify the factuality of the story in the first place). I don't mind telling this much here, and anyone interested in helping me research and find this treasure if it exists is welcome.

Upvote 0

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sound like you have a pretty good site there. Even if for some reason there is no buried treasure, the two homesite will probably produce for you. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

TOWcritter

Great story! Check online at the state and county historical society for links to the old newspapers. I've been reading stuff for my state thats from the 1774-1778 time period. Laywers too kept the wills of a lot people. They make for some really interesting reading. Good luck!

Keith IL

Jan 8, 2004
Good Hunting Cheese,don't worry about too many leads cause that'sm when they usually dry up :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very interesting, Cheese...
Good luck & keep us posted...

varmint

Jan 23, 2005
Lawrenceville, GA
Re: Sounds like you need...

Some help with all those spots from your buddy up near Atlanta! ::)

Sounds like you are on to some interesting stuff, I hope it pans out for you.

DAS

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, old trails and treasure stories go together likes dogs and fleas. You gotta have some magic powder to separate 'em. I know the old trails coming up into Illinois were very violent after the revolutionary war. The British took this territory from the French and paid the Indiains to kill all Americans who were trying to settle the area of southern Iliinois and Indiana. Typical Indian methodology was just to kill them and strip them. They had no use for any money and typically threw it alongside the trail along with anything else they did not take. They were very effective until the British were themselves removed. After that the river pirates came into play. So much treasure from the hundreds and hundreds of early settlers killed down along the trails that came in from the Ohio and Wabash.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
cheese said:
I went to a wildlife dinner tonight (lots of wild game to eat...bear, deer, elk, caribou, moose, antelope, gator, etc...)
I went to one of those, first time I ever had camel and elephant(don't ask where they got it!) If you get to hunt the property, look for places that you would camp: high ground, maybe a natural shelter or large flat place! Keep us posted! facinating! 8)

S

SASQUASH

I can help you on that time problem quit your job.Just kidding unless you have allready dun that then good for you.Hit that two house site & hit it hard that treasure is just waiting then get the mother load life savings of them poor rich folk & you can retire.well thats what I would do.O thats right I did. SASQUASH.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story! Hope you find that treasure if it exists. 8)

The part about the Bubonic plague (Black Death) in New Orleans is true. I dont know the year or where the survivors fled to, but it was documented in a movie. I cant remember the name of the movie but it was based on factual history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread