heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.
What a difference. Going from the ACE350 to the AT PRO is going to be a learning curve.
I swear I could hit any location and 75% of the time not dig trash with my 350. But nothing but clad , even in the old locations.
This ATP is going to take a little while to get used to. From the weight, to the screen being slightly more straight in instead of the 350 being easier to read. Let alone all the little sounds and blips and bings and clunks. Crazy all the new sounds.
Even in STD MODE it's so different.

I can't wait to get good at it --- I'm just walking around the backyard with planed junk and coins trying to learn it.
Time to get to the tot lot/ ball field for some on the job training

Happy hunting all

Mark

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the upgrade. It's really not hard to learn. In a tot lot/ modern sports field you may just want to stick with standard mode. You are only looking for modern clad and jewelry not deep silver or relics.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 50s you are looking at nickels/pull tabs, 60s foreign coins , mid 70s zinc pennies,Low 80s copper pennies and dimes, high 80s quarters, low 90s halves/new dollar coins, high 90s large items, aluminum cans,buried cars.But in all ranges you find gold from high 30s and up. So dig it all until you get it figured out but before long you can call what you will be digging up before you dig it.This is what I have found the ranges to be with my ATP Gold, they are pretty much the same machine.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of us hunt by sound and use the VDI to determine whether we dig or not. Do not get lost in the VDI data, use it to your advantage when you get a good tone. Check to see if the VD target ID number varies. If it only varies by one or 2 digits dig it.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a song you have to learn, eventually you'll start recognizing the melody and the junk finds go down.

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the learning curve. I got the AT Pro in march and I was complaining to the wife about it. It got to the point where for one week I would set it to standard VDI 80+, then week two add in 20 VDI numbers, then the rest on the third week. The fourth week I started over with pro mode doing the same group of VDI numbers each week. This way I got semi efficient on the machine.

*note* Sometimes I would struggle with the flipping bouncy signal given by tabs and foil or the unique sound of pro mode and what I would do is focus half an hour on what I said above and then I would spend the rest of the time doing whatever was comfortable, usually Standard 80+. Granted I spent 4 hours a day every day from 6 am to 10 am but you get the idea.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got my Garrett AT Gold a little over three years ago I was amazed at just how much chatter from small bits of metal there was, but somewhere around the 80-100 hour mark all that chatter became a language, and once learned the finds get impressive, fast...

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from an Ace 350 to a Racer 2.
I was also a little overwhelmed by the amount of sound at first, but I'm really getting used to it.
I set it up now where it's a little sparky during hunts, and I love everything I'm hearing now. I'm not leaving much behind.
My buddy hunts with me with his AT Pro, but does not like hearing a lot of activity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread