kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to town today. Stopped off at a couple of banks to get cents. At one bank, they only had $50 ("2" $25 canvas bags) on hand that they could give me, but WOW, one of those bags was awesome!! There were a total of 18 non-copper cents in the first bag. There were no Canadian cents, and there were 72 wheaties, although most of them were worn so badly that the dates were difficult to read. However, have a new oldest coin now - 1910. :occasion14:

Checked the other bag, but it looks like normal - lots of new clad in there.

I can't help but wonder if whoever was collecting copper cents had also cashed in any silver coins?? Unfortunately, it's just not worth the 100 mile round trip to find out. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They actually gave you the canvas bags with the pennies? Banks around here only deal with boxes/loose rolls. Interesting grab!

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I return the canvas bags to where they come from. Same with the boxes. I wasn't sure about the boxes so I asked one day and they were happy to have them back. Now, this very tiny bank had just rolled some cents yesterday morning, so did not have any loose around. They use the lay-flat tubes rather than preformed. It seems they roll coins as a means to keep from being overly bored there. Anyway, these flat tubes are still nice and crisp, so will save them and see if they want them back as well. Last time I got coins from that little bank, the teller was also interested in looking at coins, and she brought out all her looked-through rolls. I never said a word - just accepted the coins with a smile. ...Not one single copper in that entire bunch, and it looked like the tubes had been reused more than 2 or 3 times.

I not only look for errors, but am holding on to the copper until after election time - see what the metals prices do then. Might be a waste of my time. ...Then again, maybe it won't be.

Oh, to clarify, the canvas bag of coppers came from a different bank in a different town - not the tiny bank.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dumped $30 in copper cents to get my bankroll up to $1500. Was worth it cuz now I can get 3 boxes of halves instead of two, which increases my odds of finding silver by 50%. Had a good box w/5 90s and a 40 this week. Had I only got two boxes, I might've missed it. I'll start saving copper again if it goes up to $3+ / pound again.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, banks around here are always amazed when they see me with a canvas bag, they think they are vintage when in reality they aren't.

I saved copper a long time ago and recently dumped all $150 worth to free up bankroll. I also dumped about $350 worth of pre-1960 nickels because there is a very minimal market for them. Of course I always kept the better dates and good condition ones aside from the rest and did not dump those.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got more canvas bags from banks than I'll ever need up here in the great white north. When I am hunting in the big metropolitan areas almost never see one.

Most of the small town coin counters use canvas bags instead of the 1000 coin lok size.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
So I guess, for a change, we have it all here! :laughing7: 1 bank has the new plastic bags - 50lb. max, 1 bank uses the plastic and boxes, 1 uses boxes and canvas, and the last uses only boxes. The last is my dump bank. Sad, cause they had the highest percentage of coppers by far. However, they don't like handing their boxes out, but don't mind being a dump location. Also, they are ONLY in 1 location. The other bank has several locations. ...Not much to choose from up here.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you live in small populated areas it's a challenge. I do alot of my hunting 60 to a 100 miles from home. It's challenging to say the least to find good supply banks in my scenario.

When I really get serious is traveling for work.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you BuffaloBoy, I'm in the process of dumping $250 in copper. My CU has a member that looks for it so I told them to get ahold of him. I told them to give him my number and then I can deal directly with him. Going to see if he wants to take my $100 in pre 60 nickels, I want to stack the AG so I'm dumping the unwanted stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions