Wow - look what this teller gave me..

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too bad.. I was dumping my coins today at the credit union, and the lady emptying the machine starts asking questions.. I am leaving here in the next 6 weeks so I told her what's up. She said oh, some guy brought in $32 in loose halves.. I have them in my drawer if you want to look at them..

Walked away with 16 64's and 1 clad.... She said, oh now I will know what to look for. I said thanks!!

Can't believe after I told her what they are worth she didn't want to keep any for herself.. I will have to take her in something next time..

5.93 troy ounces total.. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Best not to advise tellers what they are worth. Now that you did....she will keep them for herself and you might as well not bother going back expecting to find any silver. You committed the Cardinal sin of CRHing. But, that's okay...live and learn
rileyboy

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rileyboy said:
Best not to advise tellers what they are worth. Now that you did....she will keep them for herself and you might as well not bother going back expecting to find any silver. You committed the Cardinal sin of CRHing. But, that's okay...live and learn
rileyboy

Not too worried. I am leaving very soon, and I know for a fact they hardly ever get any halves in. If she ends up finding some someday, I helped her out a bit.. Oh well.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think its always bad to talk to tellers. Funny this thread came up, because I was dumping a bunch of 2 dollar bills today and the tellers got real excited. This peaked my curiosity so I asked why and it turns out they collect bills but not coins. So for mutual benefit I agreed to dump my bills there and they will hold coins for me.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azlegends said:
I don't think its always bad to talk to tellers. Funny this thread came up, because I was dumping a bunch of 2 dollar bills today and the tellers got real excited. This peaked my curiosity so I asked why and it turns out they collect bills but not coins. So for mutual benefit I agreed to dump my bills there and they will hold coins for me.

Funny you say that.. My same teller asked me if I collected $2 bills. My daughter gets them from her Grandma, so I usually just put them aside even though they arent worth anything special. I bought the 5 that she had including a red seal..

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all the teller bashing that goes on here its nice to hear a story with a different tune. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
After all the teller bashing that goes on here its nice to hear a story with a different tune. :icon_sunny:

No bashing here. If it weren't for tellers I wouldn't find silver.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
koala33 said:
calisdad said:

I hope you didn't think I meant you. Always glad to read good news. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
koala33 said:
calisdad said:

I hope you didn't think I meant you. Always glad to read good news. :icon_sunny:

Oh I didn't think that :) Just saying..

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Tellers are people too lol. I've found over the years that finding a good teller and building some what of a friendship and they will take care of you. They're just doing their job, and most times they will be as nice to you as you are to them.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I believe sometimes it is very very beneficial to educate a teller that is helping you out. I have one that I guarantee will be taking care of me forever. I started going in to this bank a few months ago, and she is the only one where I was just honest with her about why I order halves, she started telling me about all the silver that she has accumulated over the years, and how next time I go in she will bring some with her to show me. So, the next week, I go in, and sure enough she has $98.00 in FV Pre64 halves. So, in total 196 Benjamins, and Walking Liberties. (she also told me how one day, an old lady came in, and was cashing them in to a teller next to her, the teller even said, uhhhhh, I think these are silver, the old lady was like, I dont care, I just want to cash them in.)Crazy.... So anyways, the teller next to her, was just putting them away, and she was like, arent you going to buy those and he said, nope. I dont want them. So she bought them from his drawer. Crazy again. Anyways, that was a few years ago. So Im looking in this bag of halves, and mentioned, hey that is worth more than you think it is, so if you are going to sell any, call me first. A month later ( which was last week), she starts telling me this crazy story about her sister was in town with some old "gold jewelry" she doesnt wear, and they went to a cash for gold place, 1st of all, she was all excited and surprised about how her sister got $300 bucks for these two gold necklaces...(that made me a little sick cause Im sure it was worth over $1000). Then she says, oh and I took that bag of halves in to see what they were worth, and they totally offered me over $700 bucks. She was all excited and sounded surprised by this. At this point, I'm light headed, and about to puke. I asked the dreaded question... Did you? She said, NOPE! I would have if you didnt talk to me first. When she got home her husband totally yelled at her for not taking the $700. I told her she almost made me throw up, and then pulled out my phone, went to my silver app. and showed her how much her 98 dollars of halves are worth... At that point, she almost fainted, and told me thank you, thank you, thank you.... We then talked for 20 minutes, here is the result: She has on auto order, as many boxes as I want every week (right now 4). She also told me she would buy any and all CWR of coin that comes in and save it for me..... Moral of this story is, it can pay off ten fold to help out a teller like this...

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
TheRockDoc said:
I believe sometimes it is very very beneficial to educate a teller that is helping you out. I have one that I guarantee will be taking care of me forever. I started going in to this bank a few months ago, and she is the only one where I was just honest with her about why I order halves, she started telling me about all the silver that she has accumulated over the years, and how next time I go in she will bring some with her to show me. So, the next week, I go in, and sure enough she has $98.00 in FV Pre64 halves. So, in total 196 Benjamins, and Walking Liberties. (she also told me how one day, an old lady came in, and was cashing them in to a teller next to her, the teller even said, uhhhhh, I think these are silver, the old lady was like, I dont care, I just want to cash them in.)Crazy.... So anyways, the teller next to her, was just putting them away, and she was like, arent you going to buy those and he said, nope. I dont want them. So she bought them from his drawer. Crazy again. Anyways, that was a few years ago. So Im looking in this bag of halves, and mentioned, hey that is worth more than you think it is, so if you are going to sell any, call me first. A month later ( which was last week), she starts telling me this crazy story about her sister was in town with some old "gold jewelry" she doesnt wear, and they went to a cash for gold place, 1st of all, she was all excited and surprised about how her sister got $300 bucks for these two gold necklaces...(that made me a little sick cause Im sure it was worth over $1000). Then she says, oh and I took that bag of halves in to see what they were worth, and they totally offered me over $700 bucks. She was all excited and sounded surprised by this. At this point, I'm light headed, and about to puke. I asked the dreaded question... Did you? She said, NOPE! I would have if you didnt talk to me first. When she got home her husband totally yelled at her for not taking the $700. I told her she almost made me throw up, and then pulled out my phone, went to my silver app. and showed her how much her 98 dollars of halves are worth... At that point, she almost fainted, and told me thank you, thank you, thank you.... We then talked for 20 minutes, here is the result: She has on auto order, as many boxes as I want every week (right now 4). She also told me she would buy any and all CWR of coin that comes in and save it for me..... Moral of this story is, it can pay off ten fold to help out a teller like this...

There are some delicate situations to deal with. At one bank where I dump, (and bring donuts in about every other week), the head teller tells me a couple of weeks ago...I helped an old lady roll up about $50 dollars worth of half dollars and some of them looked "kind of silver"...40 40%'s out of 5 rolls...would like to educate her, but would cut off that source...what do you do?...Curse ye conscious!

I brought an extra dozen the next week.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
LOL yep, you definately just take an extra dozen in a couple of times, and that is about as far as you go with that situation there. The teller I educated was different because she knows about silver, and has been collecting it from the bank for over 20 yrs. Even though she had been collecting it, she had no clue it was worth a fraction of what it is currently worth. It is definately a game of knowing what to say, Or more importantly what not to say, and when...

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
koala33 said:
rileyboy said:
rileyboy

Not too worried. I am leaving very soon, and I know for a fact they hardly ever get any halves in. If she ends up finding some someday, I helped her out a bit.. Oh well.

gotta go with keepin it quiet , whos to say who she will tell and so on and so on and so on.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out that one of the tellers at my bank was keeping silver so I married her and now all of her silver is half mine! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions