Wow!! My first military button today!! Any help identifying?

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see, it has an eagle, some stars, and U.S on the bottom. It's very small. I'm wicked excited! Any help identifying please? I also found a nice flat button that reads "London extra rich" on the back.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is US Military War of 1812 period. Nice find. I forget which one it is, but that is a rather uncommon variety.

OP
OP
B

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is US Military War of 1812 period. Nice find. I forget which one it is, but that is a rather uncommon variety.
Thank you for the information! I appreciate the help.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting button. I think it is a militia one dating to the early 1800s. Can you please post a picture of the back? And put a coin in the picture to give us a size example. I couldn't find a match in Albert's book but I may have overlooked it. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks here will be able to correctly ID your button.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a phone call while typing my reply and there was a one hour gap between starting and posting it. I will be watching this thread for any updates.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a War of 1812 Infantry button. These were made from 1812-1815. These early military buttons are cool as hell. I found 5 at a site recentky and am headed back this weekend. I hope you find more as they're a very special find imo. Congrats

OP
OP
B

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting button. I think it is a militia one dating to the early 1800s. Can you please post a picture of the back? And put a coin in the picture to give us a size example. I couldn't find a match in Albert's book but I may have overlooked it. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks here will be able to correctly ID your button.
Here is a photo of the back, and next to a dime for size comparison
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be this 46 AV in the Alberts book. Lots of variations of these. I Love The designs on War of 1812 buttons.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find-without a doubt the 1812 period buttons are the nicest designs.
Congrats on a great first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread