Wow, need some encouragement

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an AT Pro over the weekend.. went out today to an outdoor theater with the 5x8 coil. Started off in Zero mode iron at 33 Pro mode Iron on. Switched around iron on and off cause there was so much noise. Also switch between standard mode.. found targets and ran over them with both pro iron on and standard iron off just to check things out. Tried digging as much as I could get a decent hit on. I hate knowing 99% i will dig a tab but apparently you have to to find rings and such. Eventually went into coin mode.. Rough day.People seem to have settings they like to run. I am starting to realize Its all about the areas. Your not going to find relics in a 10 year old park and your not going to find gold rings in the middle of the woods (typically) The hard part is this seems like a place that might have some rings. 60-70 years old concrete benches with grass in between I guess next time I need to just discrim out 50-70 maybe even up to 80. all these tabs ran 67-71ish for the most part.:sad11:

IMG_6633[1].JPG

Upvote 3

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you lost you grandpa, not easy for sure. This hobby has a very funny way of giving up something good just when you're getting super frustrated. I would dig everything! Period! I personally can't stand thinking that I'm leaving something for the next guy. I don't even want the next guy to find the trash that I'm walking over :-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the loss of your Grandpa.

Like everyone says it takes time, patience and persistence to find the good stuff. We have all been there, frustrated by the pop tops and trash. Like they said you may want to try a less trashy area for a while then go back to the theater with more experience.

I searched an area where they were replacing the sidewalks, my detector chattered the entire time! They used the trash furnace clean outs for fill! I had head aches by the end of detecting it....however I did pull my one and only barber dime and large cent from among all the metal debris! I know I probably missed stuff, but it was soooo hard! Keep at it and learn what you Pro is telling you! You will not be disappointed I promise you! And when you lest expect it out pops the gold and silver!!! GL. HH!!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need encouragement huh..?? :icon_scratch: Just take a look in Today's Finds !! :thumbsup:
No, it can get frustrating no doubt but keep digging...!! :headbang: You'll learn a ton of things as you go, that will improve your finds. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support fellas. I didnt mean to sound like I was super frustrated. I more or less was baffled at how many pennies and tabs I pulled. I may try a different area before going back there since it was so trashy. either way I cant wait to get back at it!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detect in the woods for a day and you should find some good old coins and a lot less trash.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing this for 20 yrs. & I still dig trash. Just keep digging & learn your machine.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
We all dig a ton of trash targets. The AT is fantastic at separation and the ID is pretty good. Some of the best targets come in as low conductors. I dug a Charles I hammered silver penny in Massachusetts at 6-8" with the AT, it rang in the foil range, so don't get too discouraged. It's all about spending time with your machine. Get to know it and your sites and you'll be digging the good stuff too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread