WOW! never thought I would find one of these!!!!!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on many CW hunts out east and have seen many reales found. Always wanted to find one but never figured it would be a "BIG" 8 reales! I met up with some friends to hunt an old park. On our way we came across some street construction in the old part of town. We decided the the park wasn't going anywhere but the construction would be done soon enough. The street was gone and the curbs. The grass areas and sidewalks still remained except for at each intersection, about 10' of sidewalk was gone at the corners. Well a few blocks down I was searching a corner of sidewalk bed and got a good coin hit. I put my hand digger in and out popped a big dark disc. I thought it was a big washer or? Then I noticed an "old" eagle on the back. I knew it was pre Morgan so I thought I had a trade dollar. I soon realized it was an old Spanish 8 Reales. The date is 1832. The sidewalk was laid in 1900 so it had been buried at least 115 years. But since it was about 4" deep in the dark dirt under the sidewalk I think much longer. I had to use electrolysis to clean it up then took it to my coin dealer to authenticate it. I entered it last night in the find of the month contest at our metal detecting club and it won best coin! It's also now my oldest silver. Hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Attachments

• photo 4 copy.JPG
    photo 4 copy.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 198
  • photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 33

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UREAL my friend way to go!!vanzutphen

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. I found one like it here in Kentucky a short time ago at a Union CW camp we have been hunting. The interesting thing to me are the scratches on your coin and mine look a bit alike. Congrats on the nice recovery

JimK

It looks to me like those scratches are an X, where the coin would be cut up to make change.

That's a crazy find, I can't even imagine.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like those scratches are an X, where the coin would be cut up to make change.

That's a crazy find, I can't even imagine.

The X was to check if it were real or plated. I have a feeling looking at the bubbly surfaces that its a period counterfiet.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweeeet find!!

It's a beautiful coin too. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well.

Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread