Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week started with my usual browsing of Craig’s List for lost items. I always check the local lost & found postings for items lost at the beach. Or checking to see if anything I found might be posted as lost or to see if any has been lost in my area that I might assist in recovering. I also post that I have found items and ask potential owners to email me with descriptions for possible return.
In reading I found a post by a desperate mom. She was asking is anyone had found her daughter lost High School class ring. So I contacted the mom via email to see if there was something I could do. Her daughter had lost it almost a month ago and had just gotten around to telling her. Her mom was very upset as she had just made the final payment on the ring. Seems her daughter was at the beach one day and had taken off her ring and placed it on her towel. Of course we all know what happened next. When leaving she grabbed the towel up and shook it. The ring went flying. They looked awhile for it but to no avail. She emailed me back with which beach the ring was lost at. Well I know all the beaches in my area pretty well. I knew this was a very large beach and asked her to find out if her daughter could be a little more specific on the location and get a description of the ring. All she found out was it was to the right of the life guard stand and toward the unguarded area. Well at least my hunt area had been cut in half. But I got a good description of the ring. The ring was from Sebastian River High School, was silver with a pink stone that had a crown in it. It had a surfer girl on one side and the school mascot, a shark on the other. Also they had her initials where on the inside of the ring. But I could not get to the beach that evening because they lock the gates to all beach access around here at sundown and it was already getting late. So I would go the next evening right after work. When I arrived, the area between the life guard stand and the guarded/unguarded area signs was about the size of a football field. I decided to start at the far end and work my way back toward the life guard tower. I was using a 12” coil for max coverage. I was not concerned with depth on this hunt. I mentally pictured the area in 4 sections and would work each area. I hunted the first area but after an hour I started to think someone had wandered into the area with a detector and had already found the ring. I had zero targets. You see this is the “Treasure Coast” of Florida. Everyone here has a detector or knows someone who has a detector. Everybody looking for Spanish treasure hits these beaches while here on vacation. I rarely ever go to the beach without running into some else there with a detector. So you never know who had already been over the area. But after awhile I did find a few coins. So I thought I might get lucky and the ring was still there. Well after running a grid on the 1st section with no luck I stared on what I called the second area. I found a few pieces of junk and light aluminum. Then I got a good solid hit along the towel line. This is the area just above the high tide mark where most beach goers place there towels to lay on. I took a big bite out of the sugar sand with my scoop. As I lifted it up the sand poured out. And there is my scoop was the ring. I had found it. After laying there in the sugar sand for almost a month, it was now safe and ready to be reunited with its owner.

DSCN5619cc.jpg

DSCN5614cc.jpg

I could not wait to get home and call the owners mom. I called her up and she almost started crying on the phone. She could no believe I had found it. We made arrangements to meet a few days later and I handed her the ring. She would give back to her daughter later who not able to be there that evening. I got a very nice thank you card from them.

DSCN5648cc.jpg

DSCN5691cc.jpg

DSCN5692cc.jpg

Now move forward a few days. Tropical Storm Bon-nie was passing to the south across the lower section of Florida. This normally would put more sand on or beaches and not make the typical “cut” we all look for. But I knew there would be a slight window of opportunity. We might get one or two good low tides with sand movement. Low tides would be at around noon and midnight respectively. See we have been getting sanded in all spring and summer and had not gotten the usual November nor ester last year like we normally do. So the sand was really piled high and wide on our beaches.
The first day there was not much movement. But I managed to find a nice ladies 14K gold and Emerald ring during low tide. Maybe it was good Karma?

DSCN5643bb.jpg

But then it happened. That night the widow opened for just a moment. There was not a large cut present but a lot of the mushy sand was gone and there was large shells showing on the beach. This meant we were within reach of the “hard pan”. That’s the place gold rings stop sinking after being lost. I hit several beaches that night. Got this nice 14K men’s wedding band……….

DSCN5653cc.jpg

A really nice women’s gold ring with 7 diamonds.

DSCN5677cc.jpg

Another narrow gold wedding band

DSCN5669cc.jpg

But by the next day it was all over and the sand had come back in. I continued hunting several beach over the nest few days anyway.

Here are a few other items I found……….

Nice Fossil watch, still running.

DSCN5689aa.jpg

Nice little 10K gold charm in the shape of a heart with diamonds.

DSCN5683aa.jpg

And a little change and crap…………

DSCN5698aa.jpg

Happy Hunting all and Keep-on-Beep’n

Wow, that was alot of editing and work......whew !

PS, PAGE MODERATORS, can you please keep this story here on for awhile before moving it elsewhere

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: WOW, what a week !!!

I'm not a moderator but it looks Like it in the right area!!!! All I can say is I want one of your weeks!!!! HH Chug

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great job!!!! and some real nice finds!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome that you found and returned her ring...and look at the excellent karma ya got back.. I am waiting for good karma myself... sooner or later I will find a goodie.. :thumbsup:

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer

Wow! Nice finds and a great return on the lost ring!

Semper Fi

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice job! That's what happens when you do your homework!

tentpegs

Oct 15, 2006
spain
Detector(s) used
ex 1000 surfmaster pi

A good job done, and very good finds keep at it HH.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hey CONGRATS! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Good work on finding that lost ring. Good PR for our obsession and wonderful to re-unite the ring with it's owner.

Some beauties there too for the rest of the week!

I'm a CraigsList watcher too. Amazing what people lose.

HH Joe

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WOW, what a week !!! GOLD !!!!

Great job Joe! Beautiful finds and a fantastic return! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds!!!

Karma does reward those that do good things and the opposite for the others....

I wish I would have had a positive experience like yours when I returned a ring.

HH..

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

I know about looking in the lost and found ads of newspapers, but I didn't know about the Craig's List L & F. Thanks!

Thanks for searching for and returning the ring. Personally, I think you deserve something for your time, gas, and research; but maybe that's just me. I do think your Karma was returned, if not 10 fold, at least somewhat. But I also think your skill at beach-hunting had as much to do with finding the other nice rings.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome week :icon_salut: :icon_salut: You returned a find and scored BIG!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad your able to return a ring, nice pictures of the finds, but a post with no paragraphs is just too hard to read, I usually don't even try...

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa

definitely the Karma gods were smiling on you this week :-)

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great work, well done!

Hope that the moderators add this to your other Honorable Mention!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread