Wow, where to start - Amazing week at a new virgin site!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi folks and hope you're all getting out and finding the goods. Pics are from 3 hunts over the past week and a half. The first two hunts produced a few goodies including a couple of musket balls, part of a colonial shoe buckle and one of the worst silver coins you'll ever see - an undated Barber Quarter that looks like it was in a fire . This past Thursday I went out to score some new farm field permissions (still haven't hit the 1810 house site yet) since time is quickly running out on those opportunities. One of the field sites had two homes on it, one on either side of the road according to the old maps. The farmer said there was only 1 home and that it had been heavily metal detected through the years, but to check both sides of the road out if I wanted to. I went to that side first since the home site only appeared on the oldest 1857 maps. Were the old maps wrong? Nope!- Another virgin site baby! I only spent about an hour there on Thursday since I had to work and pulled two LCs a silver thimble and about 5 buttons. I then returned with my good friend Joe from Green Mountain Diggers yesterday and tore the place up. Between us we scored 7 more coppers, about 25 more buttons and other doo-dads. Joe also pulled a sweet 1753 half reale - older pillar style. My coins include 1803 and 1807 Draped Bust LCs, an undated Classic Head LC, a Connecticut Copper (1787 var.) and a really nice 1835 Matron LC (small date var.). Joe pulled 4 other coppers (see hand shot pic). Amazingly, those weren't my best finds imo . Those were my first Vermont Civil War militia button (Var. 9A in Albert's pp. 261) and an early 1800s Navy button (Var. 86Av in Albert's pp. 99). There seems to be some uncertainty in when these types of Navy buttons were worn from Albert's, so thinking perhaps War of 1812 or perhaps into the 1830s/40s? Dan/others - any thoughts on that one? The final item is also a mystery and included in the pics. It's has a decorative pattern on the front with attachment loops on the back. Perhaps a belt buckle cover, or an old pin or brooch? Dunno. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

Wideshot.png DB 1803.png DB 1807.png MH LC.png CT copper.png CH LC.png Roasted Barber Q.png VT button.png Early 1800s Navy button.png Mystery 1.png Mystery 2.png Copper total.png

Upvote 36

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, we're having some pretty good luck down here in S.VT too.

Be fun to get a VT members hunt together one of these days

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunt! Nice handful of coppers

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds!!! I needed to go to my buddy’s land up there in Vermont and poke around, he’s got 35 acres and I’m sure it’s never been hunted.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery and happy hunting .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer old copper hunt! :occasion14:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow some nice finds you found. Love those old coins:icon_thumright: