Wrapping Your Coil Cord...

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This might sound like a strange question... when you wrap your coil cord around the detector before plugging it in, do you wrap it left or right?

Now on purpose I did mine to the right (over the top to the right) because it gives the appearance that it's wrapped left over right. In the Marines we always laced our boots left over right.

Anyone else have a weird detector quirk or good luck way of doing things?

Upvote 0

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should always start your wrap in the direction that it connects to the coil itself. If it connects low on the coil, start wrap under the shaft; if it connects higher, start the wrap going over the coil.

On the chance that it connects in the center of the coil, then do whatever you want. I'd most likely still start it going over the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm mostly concerned to leave enough slack at the coil connection that it won't be stressed by any angle change of the coil.
luvsdux

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrapping the coil cable is very easy. Follow the instructions in the manual that comes with the detector. Used detector? find the manual online. Important to wrap it right as doing it wrong will shorten the life of the cable/coil. If you've wrapped it wrong and you've been using the detector for years and years, with no damage..... you are not getting out there enough! TTC

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you right or left handed? :laughing7:......Just leave enough slack so you can still pivot the coil and you'll be just fine.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cable should have some memory when you first get it.
The conductors inside are twisted/spiraled inside the shielding which
Is what gives it the "memory". I always try to wrap in the direction that it lays on the pole
the best. If it seems to fight you while wrapping it will be easier the other direction.

Noah

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant see a cord to wrap. :sadsmiley:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends if you are in the north or south hemisphere.

Very good, I wonder how many people got that one!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my AT Pro I wrapped over the shaft, but left myself enough slack at the bottom so that when I pivot the coil it doesn't strain the cable.

Then I put some black electrical tape around it (just a small amount where the first section wraps around the shaft), so that it doesn't go slack and interfere with the coil and cause falsing at all.

On the CTX 3030 it just runs straight up the shaft. I quite like that feature, as it makes it super easy to collapse the coil for transporting.

AT Pro Tape 2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread