W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Magoopeter, here is something to make your mouth water. Found an old backup disk with bad quality pictures. On my schooner Illusion. Table_Illusion.jpg Table2_Illusion.jpg

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Magoopeter, here is something to make your mouth water. Found an old backup disk with bad quality pictures. On my schooner Illusion. View attachment 1935055 View attachment 1935056

I think ive seen some of these on a website about ten years ago, as far as i can remeber there was some good wreck info on that website, you have a lot good artefacts there, any close up photos of the coins, do you know Martijn Manders? Apart from writing books are you still exploring / reasearching and looking?

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
I think ive seen some of these on a website about ten years ago, as far as i can remeber there was some good wreck info on that website, you have a lot good artefacts there, any close up photos of the coins, do you know Martijn Manders? Apart from writing books are you still exploring / reasearching and looking?

I have not had the honor of meeting Martijn Manders. I retired long ago, but retirement can get boring. Not normally writing books, but giving it a try. Will probably need professional help.

bahamamike

Feb 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you, got this one, some good statistics. There is mention of a "Blue Book", does anybody know what that is?

Not sure if anyone answered your question yet, but the Blue Books are Government annual reports. They are housed at the department of Archives in Nassau, there might be copies in the British Archives and the Smathers Library at the University of Florida.

I also saw you ask about Newspapers from The Bahamas, once again those three locations are your best sources.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the weather was calm, sometimes Jack and I watched the sun setting over the Gulf Stream. Sitting in the beach chairs, under the palm trees, relaxing after a hard day?s work. Between the beach chairs he had a coffee table. A very special coffee table, one of Jack?s pride.
I would trade a few of my secrets for such a table.
Jack built it himself out of recycled parts of shipwrecks. The four legs were made out of deadeye straps. The top was a heavy slab of slate. The slate was of a greyish, purplish color, a bit worn from the sea.
?Got this one from the Slate Wreck from up there?, pointing to the North. ?The deadeye straps from right off the beach, down there. Welded it myself. The cleaning was the biggest job. After knocking off the concretion, I stuck it in a plastic barrel full of fresh water and some drain cleaner, and hooked a battery to it. Once a week I changed the water and brushed the iron with a soft steel brush. Always lengthwise to bring out the layers of wrought iron. You see here, how the blacksmith folded the iron layer on layer, hammered it and then melded it again in the furnace with sand over it. Looks like fibers. Well, the brushing brought that out. Then I dipped it in tannic acid to make it black. Brushed over the top again. More tannic acid and then clear varnish to protect it from the sea air.
The top is a slab of slate that was destined to become a part of a billiard table. There are a lot of these things scattered over a mile towards the East South East, from where the ship went over the shoal. ?
As I said, Jack was proud of his table.

Well wrecking.....just like jack i grew up amongst the islands....beachcombing for ambergris, skin diving for shells and spearfishing, long lineing and commercial fishing, trapping lobster and crab, and hookah diving for lobster. Im an islander and all my life I've never wavered from this lifestyle. I too have a special coffee table....I build them from my wrecking and treasurehunting finds !! THE ISLAND PROVIDES !! 20210706_121136.jpg 20210706_121430.jpg all my art and furniture is made from beach combed material....hard ware is repurposed metaldetecting finds. I build in the robin carusoe/Swiss family robins style !!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210706_121234.jpg the hardware on this piece is from the wreck of the Baltic.....she sank off ridley head north eluthera. I also used some repurposed fishing net in the design 20210706_121242.jpg 20210706_121333.jpg 20210706_121405.jpg I like to think that the pirates of Nassau would have made similar pieces !! I love this little table and have it crammed with my favorite shipwreck/treasure related books. I varnished it with leftover varnish from boat jobs, and it is a very sturdy piece !! I used an old cigar box for a storage compartment and I could imagine old hornigold having his drinking pieces of eight in there !! It would fit right in at the old pirate camp !! The island provides !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Well wrecking.....just like jack i grew up amongst the islands....beachcombing for ambergris, skin diving for shells and spearfishing, long lineing and commercial fishing, trapping lobster and crab, and hookah diving for lobster. Im an islander and all my life I've never wavered from this lifestyle. I too have a special coffee table....I build them from my wrecking and treasurehunting finds !! THE ISLAND PROVIDES !! View attachment 1935577 View attachment 1935578 all my art and furniture is made from beach combed material....hard ware is repulsed metaldetecting finds. I build in the robin carusoe/Swiss family robins style !!

I love your table. This is ART, USEFULNES AND RECYCLING all in one. There is so much that can be done out of flotsam and jetsam from the sea. There are not many people out there, as gifted as you are, for building such beautiful conversation pieces.

OP
OP
W

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Planes and diamonds interesting, were the diamonds from, I have a similar project,

The diamonds was a shipment of cut stones from a lapidary in the city of Bello Horizonte, in the state of Minas Gerais, where there are lots of diamonds in the rivers.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Now I feel like stripped naked and hung up in the sun to dry.

Well, I would not worry, to find detailed information/ Proof then to raise the finance and then to be in a position to put a team together to after the goods, would be a lot of work with a chance of finding nothing and letting your investors down, too much hassle. I have a 3x 3 mile box with coaters, 17kg, minimum, all the paper work and x marks the spot, three years, and still haven’t got to it, so ill I’m no risk to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread