Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRBloot, welcome aboard TreasureNet!

I would recommend doing a search of the shipwreck section of our forum, I know you will find some clues there.

I would also recommend checking with your local library, you are more likely to find good reliable information among the newspaper archives, and information most others have not yet seen. Half the fun of finding a shipwreck is in the research, and It's always more fun to find a virgin wreck!

Good hunting

Tom

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
When you go to the library, look for books by Singer, Marx or Potter. These are the ones not loaded up with wild speculations. Also check locally for historical preservation areas. I recall there being one in the waters off Pensacola, but I don't remember just where. My mind is all rusty from being submerged in salt water too long.

Chip V.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
three book of interest to any shipwreck type person in florida -- shipwrecks of florida by steven d singer-- ship wrecks in the americas by robert f marx (aka bob marx)---and lastly --the treasure divers guide --by john s potter (jr) -- these are the basic three* must have books in my veiw -- often the library as stated above can be your best freind to help with researching wrecks in your area --old newspaper articles and such.

beware there are historical protection zones --- removing anything from them will get you in trouble * fast -- and of course to "offically" legally remove stuff within the 3 mile limit the state requires you to get "permits" to do so.

OP
OP
S

SRBloot

Tenderfoot
Sep 17, 2008
I was mostly looking for stuff that may have washed in close to shore. I dont wanna get into any deep stuff or historicaly protected. I just wanna find some cool artifacts maybe a coin or two.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
water line to dune foot (beaches) is fair game any where but federal land , historic preserves and pirvate spots -- I find lots of wreck stuff off of near shore wrecks "on the beach"

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
SRBloot said:
I was mostly looking for stuff that may have washed in close to shore. I dont wanna get into any deep stuff or historicaly protected. I just wanna find some cool artifacts maybe a coin or two.

Yeah, that's the way it always starts, 'just a coin or two'.

The next thing you know, your joining 'Treasure Hunters Anonymous' and working on the 12 step program...

~sigh~ I'm on step 6

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes I too rememberthe beginning my dad got me addicted --

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name is Tom, and I'm not exactly a treasure hunter, more a treasure protector.

I guess I'm still in the denial phase :'(

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so addicted I can't sleep sometimes and when I do, I dream that I'm out there....Does this mean that I'm in trouble?

SRBloot, let us know how you do with finds. A few pictures of future finds will help all of us with our addiction. It's a wonderful hobby and lot's of fun.

Good luck to all.

Potter.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SRBloot said:
Anyone know if any Spanish ships went down near Destin (Santa Rosa Beach area). I bought an old garret underwater metal detector and was just looking for some cool stuff to check out.

like others said you need to do your homework, many of the "known wrecks" in the pensacola area are off limits to any diving and trust me the FWC does monitor them frequently. Much of the undeveloped beach of the Santa Rosa Island area is National Seashore and also off limits. So doing your homework will keep you out of trouble and give you the knowlegde you need to know exactly where to swing your machine at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions