Wrinkled Notes

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K,

Generally, no it is not ok to to this. It is much like cleaning a rare coin, a no-no. That being said, I have on ocassion, laundered (no pun intended!) and pressed common varieties to fill holes in my collection until a better example comes along. Do not do this on rare notes as it will greatly devalue the note.

Regards,

3xflyfisher

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
I had a wrinkled 1.00 star note that looked pretty good, so I put it in warm water till it was saturated, then let it dry inside a heavy book for a day. Every 8 hours I moved it o a diffrent page that was dry. When dry, looked great. Weather it hurts the value, I do not know.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they are garbage, send them to me. :D

Actually I have tried ironing currency before. I started on a low setting and adjusted upwards until happy with the results. I have not tried it on any really rare notes, too scared still.

Why not try it on some bills you are going to spend anyway?

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering...
I have tried it on some "spendable" currency and they looked ok. How would anyone be able to tell if they've been ironed or not?

Scott

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would be very obvious unless you do as I did on a few bills. Too high with the heat and I slightly burned the bills. :tongue3: Burning the bills aside, I don't see a difference between ironing, placing the bills in a book, or putting them in an album. The end result is the same, the bill will appear to have fewer wrinkles and thus look less circulated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread