WS4 Backphones working then not working. Any Ideas on whats wrong?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Deus out for the first time today and was impressed by how easy it was to use.

That said, about 20 minutes into my hunt the headphones cut off and then cut back on about 30 seconds later. This happened several times over the 90 minutes i was out. I tried resetting the phones by turning them off then on again but the problem persisted. It even did it while using the MI6 pinpointer. Nothing more frustrating than trying to pinpoint not knowing if the pinpointer is on or not .

Any ideas on whats going on?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had this problem. Is this a new detector running v5.21? The older versions did have some connectivity issues in which case do the update. Of course check the basics, batteries charged, puck locked into place (it can partially slide out of the click and disconnect). Other posiibliity a loose wire in the headphones.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hold of the dealer. He said to do the update because some detectors were having issues. If the update does not fix the issue they will send me a new one.

Update...i just did the update! LOL will run the detector in the morning. Crossing my fingers.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back out today and within 10 minutes it was doing the same thing. I put up with it for about half an hour then went back to the car to get the remote.
Started up the remote, turned on the phones and detected for 3 more hours with zero problems.

So, it looks like the ws4 headphones have issues.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you were running without the remote when this happened? Are you sure the remote was off when you first started out?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was my first day using the detector. I left the remote at home and was only using the phones when the problem happened. I stoped detecting, went home, then did the update per the dealers instructions.

Went back this morning and took both the remote and phones with me. I left the remote in the car and had the same issue within just a few minutes. Walked back to the car, turned off the phones, attached the remote, turned on the remote then turned on the phones and everything worked perfectly.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something to try: take the puck off the headphones and clean the contacts.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have more than one coil?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is it?

The detector is brand new. Last Thursday was my first day of using it.

Just something to try: take the puck off the headphones and clean the contacts.

The puck fits nice and tight. The contacts look great....no tarnish or anything that would cause a bad connection

Do you have more than one coil?

I do not have more than one coil. All i have is the 9 inch coil that came with it.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. I never use it without the RC. Sure sounds like connectivity issue. One more thing are you raising the coil three feet off the ground and away from metal when you start it up?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I ask is that it sounds like it is connecting to a coil or the remote then it is going out of range. But that can't be it if you only have one coil and you didn't have the remote on in the car. Since you lost the signal after using the wireless pinpointer, it could be the issue related to loss of coil reconnects after turning pp off that was prevalent with the older software versions. This was finally fixed in ver 5.21 SW. Is 5.21 installed (521 shows up when turning on the remote) or do you have an earlier version?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I ask is that it sounds like it is connecting to a coil or the remote then it is going out of range. But that can't be it if you only have one coil and you didn't have the remote on in the car. Since you lost the signal after using the wireless pinpointer, it could be the issue related to loss of coil reconnects after turning pp off that was prevalent with the older software versions. This was finally fixed in ver 5.21 SW. Is 5.21 installed (521 shows up when turning on the remote) or do you have an earlier version?

The machine came with 5.21 already installed. I reinstalled 5.21 just to be sure.
The machine works great with the remote but has serious issues when running the WS4 phones by themselves. I have the exact same issue when in pinpoint mode using the ws4 phones

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact metaldetector.com the service center in the USA. Last resort, try a different area to see if you are experiencing EMI. Again, make sure you raise the coil three feet off the ground and away from metal for 15 seconds (until you hear sound in the headphones) when you turn it on. That's important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact metaldetector.com the service center in the USA. Last resort, try a different area to see if you are experiencing EMI. Again, make sure you raise the coil three feet off the ground and away from metal for 15 seconds (until you hear sound in the headphones) when you turn it on. That's important.

The dealer gave me the number to the service center. Looks like i have to wait till monday. I am not upset or anything, just baffled. The machine works flawless when the remote is being used in conjunction with the WS-4 phones but when the remote is taken out of the picture, the connectivity issues start.

I have a feeling the phones are the culprit.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it could also be the coil transmitter but most likely the phones.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you start it up during the first fifteen seconds it does a noise cancelling. This is why you have to keep the coil three feet off the ground and away from any metal. If it doesn't cancel the noise properly I could surely see it having connectivity problems.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After eliminating most possibilities, I wonder if your issue may be how you are using the pinpointer. How you press the on/off switch requires correct timing. Just a quick touch for "on" and for off the manual says hold for over a half second. Sounds simple but it takes a little practice to get the timing right and not hold the button too long. Also keep the pinpointer away from any metal when you turn it on. I admit I did not read the instructions at first. Gotta read them.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with Moe. Looks like the problem is likely coming from the ws-4 backphones. Given the unit works fine with the remote but not fine when the remote is taken out of the equation, I would agree. I was told to call for an RA# and I did.

Unfortunately they are not taking returns for at least 2 weeks! I have a feeling it’s gonna take a long time to get this corrected.

Thank you covid 19.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread