WS6 headphones useless without puck

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
I got my WS6 master unit today and I am sorely disappointed! I watched countless videos and read all I could find about this unit and nowhere did anyone (that I found) say you would have to have a second set of headphones if you used the puck as your machine master.

The XP site has a potentially misleading statement that says,
"The WS6 are not just wireless audio headphones. Without the remote control, they can be a stand alone unit and connect with the coil for an extremely ergonomic and lightweight configuration."

That is true, but be careful not to read "without the remote control" to mean "without the puck" like I did, because the puck IS a remote control. There IS an adapter in the kit that connects to the puck and has a mini headphone jack on it (to which you could connect a set of earbuds), but you are now back to a wire draping down to the coil wand. To get rid of the headphone wire and get wireless headphones, you have to fork out another $150 and get a pair of WS2 headphones.

Also, if you have a Deus I, don't expect to be able to connect your coil to the puck. The 4-28 khz X35 coil is not the same as the 4-45 khz FMF coil. When I put the serial number in, the puck would not recognize it.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're probably right that nobody mentions it. Honestly I never really thought about it -- I just figured you either have the puck on your ear as a headphone or on your detector as a control pad, and that it couldn't do both things at once (since it can't be in both places at once). I suppose you don't have to detach the puck from the headphones to use it as a remote. But it would be pretty inconvenient to have the display on the side of your head where you can't see it. Honestly I saw the control function as a "neat trick" that wasn't terribly practical, but maybe useful if the main control pad was lost or damaged.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my WS6 master unit today and I am sorely disappointed! I watched countless videos and read all I could find about this unit and nowhere did anyone (that I found) say you would have to have a second set of headphones if you used the puck as your machine master.

The XP site has a potentially misleading statement that says,
"The WS6 are not just wireless audio headphones. Without the remote control, they can be a stand alone unit and connect with the coil for an extremely ergonomic and lightweight configuration."

That is true, but be careful not to read "without the remote control" to mean "without the puck" like I did, because the puck IS a remote control. There IS an adapter in the kit that connects to the puck and has a mini headphone jack on it (to which you could connect a set of earbuds), but you are now back to a wire draping down to the coil wand. To get rid of the headphone wire and get wireless headphones, you have to fork out another $150 and get a pair of WS2 headphones.

Also, if you have a Deus I, don't expect to be able to connect your coil to the puck. The 4-28 khz X35 coil is not the same as the 4-45 khz FMF coil. When I put the serial number in, the puck would not recognize it.
I had to buy the separate jack clip to use the puck on the stem if I needed to.
There seems to be different price structures for what a person wants and it's a tad confusing sorting it out to what works with what.
It was early on in the release that only the W1-6 pin pointer was only compatible with the D2, and not the coils from the D1.
The technology was different and didn't support the early versions of D1 coils.

The dealer should stated the options and what works with what-and what you need to make it functional.
Both dealers I bought through explained the difference.
I opted really on in getting the WSA ll-XL and would keep the WS6 as a back up as I didn't care for the behind the head configuration.
Never could figure out why the WS6 was a great thing having the puck stuck on the side of the head. (well if a person had eyes in the back of their head maybe)

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 7.07.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 7.08.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 6.45.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 6.48.04 AM.png

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to buy the separate jack clip to use the puck on the stem if I needed to.
There seems to be different price structures for what a person wants and it's a tad confusing sorting it out to what works with what.
It was early on in the release that only the W1-6 pin pointer was only compatible with the D2, and not the coils from the D1.
The technology was different and didn't support the early versions of D1 coils.

The dealer should stated the options and what works with what-and what you need to make it functional.
Both dealers I bought through explained the difference.
I opted really on in getting the WSA ll-XL and would keep the WS6 as a back up as I didn't care for the behind the head configuration.
Never could figure out why the WS6 was a great thing having the puck stuck on the side of the head. (well if a person had eyes in the back of their head maybe)

View attachment 2116373 View attachment 2116374 View attachment 2116375 View attachment 2116376
I’m still wondering why you need to see it in the first place. It’s not doing anything your ears can’t do.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m still wondering why you need to see it in the first place. It’s not doing anything your ears can’t do.
SIte dependent
In the open areas few targets-nope
Heavy iron laden site where one is getting loads of targets under the coil.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SIte dependent
In the open areas few targets-nope
Heavy iron laden site where one is getting loads of targets under the coil.
So you actually look at numbers to segregate under those conditions?
Im just curious. Not arguing I just learned when there was no screens. I’ve never used the Deus controller outside of the non-mountable case. Heavy Iron, use a Sifter program and listen. If reliant on VDI, why bother with headphones and a headache, just look at the screen?

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Just be glad you don't have my ears. If you did, you wouldn't have to ask.

My wife is always asking me, "Why can't you understand perfectly intelligible words?"
My Deus says, "Why can't you understand perfectly intelligible ID tones....."

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you actually look at numbers to segregate under those conditions?
Im just curious. Not arguing I just learned when there was no screens. I’ve never used the Deus controller outside of the non-mountable case. Heavy Iron, use a Sifter program and listen. If reliant on VDI, why bother with headphones and a headache, just look at the screen?
I started using headphones when the we got a machine that would allow the home stereo to plug into them (before that it seem to me we had spliced into the wires going to the speaker) So lets go 50yrs-there's no other way to hear.
Plus now under the toque oh snuggly they are. :laughing7:

Not sure what a "Sifter Program" is actually.(Have to read up on it)
Folks like to put names on things that think they're the first to invent-meanwhile lots of folks are doing the something.
Watched one fellow today-shared the newest/best/greatest-heck 95% is what I have been doing for nearly a year. :dontknow:( The other 5% I have actually check out the controller)
I look at the screen for the high pitch iron-just to double check when the iron isn't as detectable to my ears.
I also will see what number is the dig signal-just a game of can I guess what it is correctly.
Nailed it :headbang:
Some of the iron is just too thick, the VDI might be flashing a high number-but there wasn't a sound backing it up. I have snuck out a few by keeping a close eye on what the coil is going over. Even then one can change directions and get something a tad different it seems.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay so I don’t update when Deus does one anymore, the last one I did had Gary’s (The guy from original instructional videos for the Deus) program I had put in manually in the earlier version called a sifter program. I would hope they kept it in the current updates and in the other models. It’s not a deep hitter but it is super fast and a jump right into an old cellar or demoed mess program. The full tones fast on mine took a guy in Kentucky (Scott Clark) a year of messing around to make, he shared it then it became part of new version. Intentional or not it’s the same program.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just be glad you don't have my ears. If you did, you wouldn't have to ask.

My wife is always asking me, "Why can't you understand perfectly intelligible words?"
My Deus says, "Why can't you understand perfectly intelligible ID tones....."
Oh you are correct the Deus is definitely not a friendly tone machine (most wives too). I tell myself the weight or lack of is the trade off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread