WTFe

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I told David Beard that I would post a pic of the bullet mold I found a month or two ago after electrolysis. Here it is, along with some other random iron, since it seems to be the topic of the day among those of us that appreciate the overload signals....

By the way, my wife thinks I'm nuts for preserving a nail, but I think it's important to keep together with finds to help date a site....

Attachments

• fe 001.JPG
    fe 001.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 801
  • fe 002.JPG
    fe 002.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 793
  • fe 003.JPG
    fe 003.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 791
  • fe 004.JPG
    fe 004.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 787
Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful artifacts Scratcher!!!!

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Very nice scratcher. I would have like to see a before shot. How do you clean your iron? If you use electrolysis, can you explain what you use to make it. I have a small one for coins using a 12 amp and alagator clips. I have a ton of iron in a bucket that I would like to discover what they are. Any suggestions would help. :icon_thumleft:

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Awesome lock plates. One has a pan, hammer, and frizzen. Pre 1820. Don't know if from a rifle or musket but it doen't matter. Bullet mold is great too. American molds tend to be iron, European molds brass. I'm guessing mold is for ball? Diameter is what if possible? Thanks.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
I told David Beard that I would post a pic of the bullet mold I found a month or two ago after electrolysis. Here it is, along with some other random iron, since it seems to be the topic of the day among those of us that appreciate the overload signals....

By the way, my wife thinks I'm nuts for preserving a nail, but I think it's important to keep together with finds to help date a site....

That's a good strategy. If more people would take such care on their finds and cataloguing, that would take away the only truly legitimate excuse the opposition has for complaint. All else would be exposed for the envy that it is.

Beautiful assortment of iron. I would love to find a lock plate. Great keys, too.

I love this stuff! Thanks for posting it.

In the "non-coin" site I am hunting lately, the people it seems didn't have any money. There are no coppers, no silver so far. But they dropped a lot of iron! I am saving it with electrolysis, treatment, and sealing so that it doesn't rust away to nothing. After I have enjoyed it for a while, I plan to donate it to a local museum or perhaps our community center. How can any upright person be against that??

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Garabaldi said:
Very nice scratcher. I would have like to see a before shot. How do you clean your iron? If you use electrolysis, can you explain what you use to make it. I have a small one for coins using a 12 amp and alagator clips. I have a ton of iron in a bucket that I would like to discover what they are. Any suggestions would help. :icon_thumleft:
Hey Garabaldi, here is a link to when I found the bullet mold if you want to see something before electrolysis. The mold didn't look nearly as bad as some of the stuff I treat. A couple of the locks I've dug were barely recognizable. I'll try and post the method I use later tonight.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,267405.msg1902173.html#msg1902173

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Rando said:
Oh come on, NOTHING about the Fe title??? ???

Don't worry guy, I caught it. :laughing7:

I was wondering... :wink:

Lazy J said:
Awesome lock plates. One has a pan, hammer, and frizzen. Pre 1820. Don't know if from a rifle or musket but it doen't matter. Bullet mold is great too. American molds tend to be iron, European molds brass. I'm guessing mold is for ball? Diameter is what if possible? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is 50 cal, LJ

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
scratcher said:
Garabaldi said:
Hey Garabaldi, here is a link to when I found the bullet mold if you want to see something before electrolysis. The mold didn't look nearly as bad as some of the stuff I treat. A couple of the locks I've dug were barely recognizable. I'll try and post the method I use later tonight.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,267405.msg1902173.html#msg1902173

Garabaldi, the setup I currently use revolves around one of the moderately priced battery chargers on wheels. The basics can be found at this site:
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/crl/conservationmanual/File10b.htm

The most important part, in my opinion, is to not use too much current at first. You have to experiment a little, but you will soon learn what drives a faster reaction. A larger sacrificial piece of metal(positive cable attachment), closer distance between positive and negative, and higher current, all drive a faster reaction which you don't want at first. Some random thoughts and tips:

I have not noticed much difference whether I run at 2 amps at first without a lightbulb or with a lightbulb inserted inline(in the negative cable). So I haven't used the lightbulb recently. Make sure you get a good connection, especially on the rusty relic. I typically run slow enough that you can't tell much is happening the first couple days. If it gets too slow, you have to make sure that the sacrificial either doesn't need replaced or wirebrushed off a bit.
I do it in a five gallon bucket and use autobody metal for the sacrificial. Make sure you attach the positive above the waterline or you will sacrifice your positive clamp.
I usually use baking powder for the electrolyte.
It's pretty easy once you get set up. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. I am currently thinking about doing a large early three-legged cauldron that my brother and I unearthed at one of our early sites. It is going to be a challenge....

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Ia.FurTrade said:
Nice stuff, Scratcher! Are you on a "Fur Trade" era site?
Dale

Yea, did you notice the cartouche trade knives? :wink: I've got the full handle of one too :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions