WW II Dog Tag / Help Find Family

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While going through one of the hundreds of boxes of junk in the basement, I came across this WW II USNR dog tag. I would love to get this back to his family if possible. Can Ya'll Help. The Veterans name is George William Sawyer Jr. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
Upvote 12

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
YOUR LOCAL VA CAN USUALLY HELP

Not really, unless you find a person that truly understands what you are seeking. They won't give you any information at all. Privacy act. Someone might research it and try to call the family for you but that is the best they will do.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the pictures look close, the guy in the pictures was born in 1938. Too young for WW II

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ogre1190, I will try to contact him today. Dog tag says that he was Protestant, but maybe he converted to Catholic. I have another lead on a guy from Decatur AL that passed in 2012.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah...I saw that he woulda been about 3 yrs old when WWII broke out. Hope u find him, Steve! 😁

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Twelve years ago, a lady died. She had a brother named George William Sawyer, Jr. who then lived in Fuguay -Varina, North Carolina. At the time of her death, she was 75 years old. If 'George' were of the same age as the deceased, he's be about 87 years old today, if alive. If this George was just a few years older than the deceased, he could be a candidate for being 'your' George. This is another lead you may wish to follow.
Don.....
Source: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/topics.obits/41392/mb.ashx?pnt=1

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackaydon, The guy in Fuqua Varina was George Washinton Sawyer. This sure is a popular name.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the pictures look close, the guy in the pictures was born in 1938. Too young for WW II

Might be his son. The acorn does not fall to far from th oak tree especially with a same name.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the March 23, 1946 issue (page 5) of your neighboring paper, the Danville Bee (Virginia), there is this entry:
"This Week In the office of the Henry- County clerk three marriage licenses were issued: George William Sawyer, Jr., and Elizabeth Ann Hodnett...."
My money is on this is your guy.
Don.....

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I FOUND HIS SON!!!!!! Big Thanks to Ginger Peel for connecting me with Veteran Buddy Finder. It took them 13 MINUTES to find the family! I just got off the phone with his son and he remembered the tag and described the wooden cross that was also on the chain. He is coming by later this week to get it. THANKS TO ALL who helped. I'll post pictures when he picks it up.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His uncle's last name is Hodnett so I would say, YES. Thanks

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I FOUND HIS SON!!!!!! Big Thanks to Ginger Peel for connecting me with Veteran Buddy Finder. It took them 13 MINUTES to find the family! I just got off the phone with his son and he remembered the tag and described the wooden cross that was also on the chain. He is coming by later this week to get it. THANKS TO ALL who helped. I'll post pictures when he picks it up.

This is the part of metal detecting that surpasses even the coolest of recoveries. Folks in the community pooling their resources to locate the owner or family of a lost relic or artifact. My hat is off to every one of you who joined in to make this a successful outcome. Looking forward to the actual return and thrilled to know T-netters continue to go ALL OUT to make this a reality. SUPER COOL!:headbang:

I had the honor of returning a pair of Korean War Veterans dog tags to him personally once many years ago. We had a few beers as he reminisced over his war memories here stateside. This memory will forever be with me and is more "valuable" than all of my "best" recoveries. Well done Indian Steve. You will NOT forget your efforts to return this set of dog tags and it will always be a special assignment in which you succeeded. :icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions