✅ SOLVED WW1 Iron Cross Real or Fake?

chbingle

Greenie
Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently bought a WW1 Iron Cross 2nd Class off of eBay. I have an authentic WW2 Iron Cross 2nd class so figured a cross from the first world war would go well with it. However, when I received the medal I noticed that it appeared thinner than my Iron Cross from WW2. I tested the core, which is magnetic as it should be, measured the width of the cross to exactly 44milimeters, which again is correct, However the medal is on the thinner side and it is very difficult to tell if its of 3-piece construction as it should be because of its thinness. The edges appear to have small groves or lines but the Cross is very thin and the edges are a bit worn so it is very difficult to tell for certain. Can anyone tell me if this Iron Cross is authentic, a replica, or perhaps a late-war piece? Thanks!

IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4677.JPG IMG_4643.JPG

(I'm not sure why the pictures decided to rotate btw :sadsmiley:)

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of WW1 EK2's are smaller than the 1939 EK. First things first, is the core magnetic? Where did it come from? Any markings on the loop or on the frame by the loop?

Some close ups of the ridges in the corners will be helpful as well

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enlarged your pics (forgot I could do that) and from what I see in the pics it looks to be a perfectly good cross. The lack of a makers mark isn't any cause for concern, a whole lot of them are unmarked. So long as the core is magnetic and the frame is silver I'd say you're good to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chbingle

Greenie
Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The core is indeed magnetic. I'm very new to collecting these medals, is there a good way to tell if the frame is silver? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be overly concerned with the thickness, if there's 7 different manufacturers you'll see 7 different variations. I collect WW-2 German dress daggers and there's a lot of differences from one company to another. One thing though, be careful. I don't buy anything I can't actually hold in my hand and examine thoroughly. Be really anal about it , develop O.C.D. about examining the stuff or you'll get taken. My gut tells me your medal is good.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The core is indeed magnetic. I'm very new to collecting these medals, is there a good way to tell if the frame is silver? Thanks!

there are test kits, but looking at your photos the tarnish and patina look good to me, if you have any doubts about the frame a jeweler could test it, but I'd be really careful because they use an acid and it could easily damage the cross.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me. I'd take some of the advice offered on here. Be very careful when buying German WW1 and WW2 items off ebay and even in person, If you are not familiar with the construction methods, materials and manufacturers used for specific items you could easily be taken. The market is flooded with fakes and fantasies. I have learned this the hard way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chbingle

Greenie
Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the Cross Measures to 44mm, the core is magnetic, it appears to be of 3-piece construction, and the frame is likely silver as it is not magnetic and passed the "ice test". Thanks to everyone for the advice and help!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Cross Measures to 44mm, the core is magnetic, it appears to be of 3-piece construction, and the frame is likely silver as it is not magnetic and passed the "ice test". Thanks to everyone for the advice and help!

All genuine EKs will be three piece, but there are forgeries out there that look just as good as originals, especially with some artificial aging... Generally speaking WW1 EK2s are fairly safe because there isn't a big profit margin for the fakers, but they do turn up from time to time. As a general rule, never buy anything online from China, be wary of anything from Eastern Europe, and if you see something on ebay check the seller and make sure they haven't sold several of that same item. I personally wouldn't buy anything online unless it came from a very reputable site and had a guarantee on it.

There is a forum called Wehrmacht Awards, that I would recommend becoming a member of. The people there are some of the most knowledgeable on the subject of German miltaria and there is an amazing amount of info there about spotting fakes.

Upvote 0

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cross is legit, worth about $35-$50 USD.

EK2's were made by the 1,000,000's so will never be rare, but are an attractive piece of military history.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread