WWI!!!

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of my finds from last week. They were great scavenger surface finds in Kent, Texas. The US button is a WWI Army, and the Peso date is 1944. After finding yet another peso, I may have to change my name to the, "Peso Princess." I live for finding all these secrets on and in the land!!

image-2361713258.jpg

image-3045240161.jpg

image-2186543826.jpg

image-357077245.jpg

Upvote 9

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought you might want to know... it is a US Army collar-disc insignia, not a button. Because the background behind the letters US is diamonds with a tiny acorn inside each diamond, it is a Type 2 disc, dating from 1926 to 1937. Use the following link and scroll a bit less than halfway down the webpage.
Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what does this mean, CannonballGuy? I call most things buttons, simpleton mistake on my written perspective. Are you giving insight that directs me toward the fact that the object found is an insignia and not button? Or are you providing clarification of eras? Or both...I would like to hold to the WWI, but if it is not, I appreciate your clarification. Hey, it is great to find a military button in the dirt, but history is history. I enjoy the ability to be part of a forum that can provide a myriad of historical expertise. Thanks!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I have to say that "Peso Princess" has a nicer ring to it than "diggerbutt" in my estimation , but "Centavo Chica " might be
more accurate because that's what you have there - 20 centavos ! Nice Finds .

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a collar insignia and it is design used just after WW I
looks like you shined it up - if you just cleaned the dirt off and left the patina (aging on it)
it would have been worth a few bucks - collectors want to see the age on the metal
unless its just going into your collection and thats the way you like your finds

biggredd1972

Jun 1, 2013
S.E.Missouri
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lone star

white's DFX e series with dx-1 probe
bulls eye II
Whites V3i dx-1 probe
Minelab equinox 800 Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one of the collar just like your but mine is not as good shape as your (see pic of my avatar).

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clarification Casper and Cannonballguy. Now I feel like...

:BangHead:

Just kidding. Yes, I know that collectors want to see the age on metal, but I wanted to clean mine up. Sometimes I like the finds to look clean, and other times I just wipe the dirt off them. I'm a hoarder with the stuff I find, because it's more about the find. The rush is incredible…

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Diggerbutt, I see that you're in my neck of the woods or should i say my neck of the mesquite lol. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on your finds. I also have a collar insignia that i dug up in an old dump site here in El Paso. I also found a lot of old bottles but mostly from the early 20's to mid 50's, but it seems that this site is coming to an end. They're starting to level the place for a new subdivision.
HH,
Texas Yankee
IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0364.JPG

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Texas Yankee! Love all the military buttons and insignia. I found a key similar to the newer one you have in the picture. I have yet to find one like the older key. Also gotta love the centavos and and walking liberty. It's funny you have dice and jacks, I can't get away from finding all kinds of marbles. Nice to see posts and pics from fellow El Pasoans.

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, I have to laugh because there aren't too many folks that know where Kent, Texas is . I live further East over in Sanderson, Texas. Still more of the same ole desert. I find lots of military stuff from the Mexican Revolution out in these parts. I believe the army finally completely pulled out around 1929, so my guess is there were some soldiers hanging out around Kent, just in case Mexico got fired up again. I found a 20 Centavos the other from 1937. Gotta love those silver coins! Congrats n the finds.

Kinley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread