WWII 50 Cal. Bullets

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I found a practice range where millions of these were fired, during training for WWII.
I dug 108 in about 15 minutes, they are thick as thieves for thousands of yards.
1 pic is of a cleaned one cut in half, and one cleaned one scored to show thickness of the copper jacket.
About 10 cents of copper on each one. Maybe I should get a backhoe and a gravel separator, and clean house on recycling copper and steel? I think I could make $30 an hour just with an MD.
Dano & Yogi.

Attachments

• 50cals.jpg
    50cals.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 743
  • bullet.JPG
    bullet.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 6,225
  • bullet2.JPG
    bullet2.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea.
Looks like there's plenty of copper in them babies.
HH
Ken

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
A great way to clean up the enviroment, recycle a non renewable metal source, AND make a little money. With a partner, I would think you could "clean up". One of you swing, while the other digs.
Regards,
Jules

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey dano91, as long as there isn't anything explosive you might just try selling these whole on ebay. Lots of people today collect WWII stuff. Maybe some millionare would like to decorate his bar with bullets? ;D

Anyway, I'd give it a "shot."

Badger

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Are you in NY. I know of an old Navy Boot Camp in NY that is now a state park. It is probably a good place to look for rounds.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds - you might want to take a soil sample though to check for lead content as a lot of ranges are heavily contaminated (especially if you've some young-uns at home).

I'm sure there's a market for WWII 50 cal slugs - good luck

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bring the 10 YO and a shovel dano :D
thats thinking outside the box ;)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. . . I stopped by an army surplus store about a year back and saw a tray on the counter with a bunch of fired .50 rounds like you have. . . they wanted $3 each. I'll bet those would clean up real nice with copper polish. . . or maybe in a rock tumbler? Just be sure they're all inert. Maybe you could sell those wholesale to stores like that. Just a thought.

watercolor

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save some and make sort of display. Would a good conversation piece.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!

I just found a bunch of those myself on the beaches in Delaware. The locals told me they were from between WWI and WWII where a tugboat would pull a barge with targets on them for practice shooting. They just replenished these beaches with the sand from where these barges were fired at. Lucky me! Lucky you!!!

privet12

Oct 31, 2005
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Just be careful if you start finding 30 mm rounds some of them are made out of depleted uranium cores in them. So don't be grinding on those mite not be healthy if you know what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread