WWII Bomb Explodes

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God bless the guys who diffuse these. Happily no one was working on that one when it went off.

Unknown-9.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done that army team in keeping everyone safe. They had it swaddled in sandbags because it had been determined there was a high risk of it going off during the operation. Fortunately, only a robotic was working on it at the time.

I lived there until the early eighties. Although it's not a particularly big place, it's a little known fact that Gt Yarmouth was the most frequently attacked coastal town in Britain during WWII in terms of number of raids by the Luftwaffe, with 90 raids in total.

As well as targeting its naval shore base and the minesweepers and torpedo boats operating from the port, planes returning from other raids used it as a navigation way-point and would unload any leftovers on the town as they crossed the coast. Returning bombers didn't want to land with any ordnance still in the bomb-racks.

This particular bomb is believed to have been from the midnight raid of 8/9 April 1941 when 4,000 incendiaries were dropped on the town along with high explosives. Six HE bombs (believed to be 250kg) were reported to have landed in the river but accompanied by only five explosions. The Home Guard ultimately abandoned their search for the unexploded one.

Last edited:

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I didn't see this before I found this WWII bomb detonator detecting with my Legend on Ft Pierce beach. The Treasure Coast was a very active area during WWII. Training for the UDT teams was done here, and it was a bombing practice area. On rare occasions mines are found on the beach. If you get down here you might visit the Navy Seal Museum just north of where I found this. The bomb squad very carefully removed this piece, took it to a more remote beach and detonated it.

Attachments

• BMB02.jpg
    BMB02.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 12
  • BMB01.jpg
    BMB01.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN4123.JPG
    DSCN4123.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread