WWII German SS Belt Buckle Find

KILLER Tn

Jan 23, 2009
WWII German Belt Buckle Find.jpg I found this out in a field where an old house was . I was shocked to find this , and didn't realize what it was until I got home and washed the dirt off .

Upvote 10

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find!!! Looks silver! Congrats!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! Appears to be nickel plated judging from your photo. Nickel plated ones tend to be more valuable. Can we see a photo of the back? Any makers marks on the back?

Steve

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! Appears to be nickel plated judging from your photo. Nickel plated ones tend to be more valuable. Can we see a photo of the back? Any makers marks on the back?

Steve

Agree, makers mark will help a lot. I think it's aluminum. Pretty sure on this.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True ATW, or there was a German POW camp nearby! Sub 8-)

I don't think any German POW had his buckle with him in a camp, Sub. Usually all badges, buttons and so on had to be removed. I detected a couple disarming places here and the finds were stunning. This buckle was a souvenir for sure.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and correct ID also. I would be interested to know the maker of the buckle. There should be some numbers/letters on the backside that will help identify this. What are they?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These markings can be very difficult to see. Here is one out of my collection to show where to look. It's also the nickel plated version.

25632431fh.jpg

Left in the circle is RZM for ReichsZeugMeisterei. In the middle the runes and right the number.

25632432ee.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KILLER Tn

Jan 23, 2009
822/38 RZM is on the back , I just found this a few days ago in a field, where corn or soybeans are usually planted . I found a map of the area yesterday that shows a house and probably a barn in the spot where I dug the buckle . There was an old road that once passed by this old home place , and now the only sign of anything ever being there is broken pottery , glass and brick . According to the map the picture of the house was back in 1950 , and the land owner said he never knew a house was ever there , and he has owned that property for many years .

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find.... As to how it got there, most people don't realize that that kind of thing didn't become particularly valuable until many years after the war. Kids played with dads war souvenirs and lost quite a lot of them I'm sure. When we were kids I remember my friend up the street had a real German helmet that he brought out for our neighborhood war games. (I had a pretty good set of American gear and singlehandedly defeated the Nazis several times) I'm pretty sure there are dummy grenades and a couple bayonets somewhere lost in that neighborhood still....

Anyway, that's my main theory on how these things turn up in strange places, of course it could have just been lost when the house was torn down too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions