Buff

Greenie
Nov 21, 2020
Olive Branch
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a find. I've had this since 1960, the year i was born. During WWII may father was a pre-teen and would write letters to the soldiers. They would in turn send him military patches. My Grandmother Burkley would sew them onto a wool blanket as they came in. A few nights when it was extremely cold (1960's), I would pull it out of the linen closet.

Dad went on to serve in Korea (1952) after graduating from the University of Mississippi. (ROTC). He earned the Bronze Star there and was a good Christian and local Samaritan.

You will see a lot of great patches: Guadal Canal, Seabee's, Merrills Marauders, PT Boat, among others that served.

I have tried to preserve it the best I can.

Pete

Attachments

• WWII Patch Blanket.JPG
    WWII Patch Blanket.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 37

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not a find. I've had this since 1960, the year i was born. During WWII may father was a pre-teen and would write letters to the soldiers. They would in turn send him military patches. My Grandmother Burkley would sew them onto a wool blanket as they came in. A few nights when it was extremely cold (1960's), I would pull it out of the linen closet.

Dad went on to serve in Korea (1952) after graduating from the University of Mississippi. (ROTC). He earned the Bronze Star there and was a good Christian and local Samaritan.

You will see a lot of great patches: Guadal Canal, Seabee's, Merrills Marauders, PT Boat, among others that served.

Pete
Very cool! That is an amazing piece of history!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pete
@Buff

That's awesome, and I would imagine very valuable, take it to "Antiques Roadshow" if you can!

If were mine I would probably see about getting a professional conservator to put a "backer" on it or whatever they recommend to stabilize the blanket where it's deteriorating.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A family treasure that should be preserved as suggested. There are patches from unit that no longer exist from all services. A beautiful piece of history.

OP
OP
B

Buff

Greenie
Nov 21, 2020
Olive Branch
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fellows for your comments/suggestions. I will have it conserved, as you suggested, and passed down to my son. The blanket as a whole is more valuable than any one piece. May loan it to a Veterans Day display.

Buff. PB.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "Blanket", is a one of a kind. Beautiful, and a thank you for Marino13 for that video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread