Wyoming hunts.

jay16910

Jul 13, 2018
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am recently new to this site as well as metal detecting in general. I have been out and found some interesting things here in Southwest wy but i'm curious if anyone has any good leads for old relics/coins in the area. I've searched through every museum and book in the area to no avail. I know the area has always been famous for outlaws, coal and the railroad but i think the hardest part of my research comes from the timeline. Most of what I am looking for was around before wyoming was even a state or territory. If you have any good stories to share that are around sweetwater county feel free to send them my way! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would try finding old trails and check creeks or rivers around old trails. What have you been finding?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum, Jay. I've done some detecting in SW Wyoming. Spent my spare time for about 8 years prospecting for diamonds west of Cedar Mntn. Found a lot of cartridge brass, including some blackpowder rounds. There's not a lot out there, but it can be found. Mostly, I look for places that would make decent camping spots, especially near the few streams, or seasonal washes.
Jim

OP
OP
J

jay16910

Jul 13, 2018
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the biggest issues with that is most of them are protected. We have an abundance of trails here. Overland, pony express, Cherokee, mormon, ect ect. But most of it is preserved federal land now. They don't much like digging on it. I have searched around the old mines entrances here, everything from 1930's shell casings to original blasting caps. Misc buttons ect.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Birdseye view from Google Earth

You could try "Google Earth". It is a download application that gives aerial photographs. I use it as a guide to see what you can't from a ground level view.

https://www.google.com/earth/

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never detected any of the historic trails. Generally I just hit random spots I liked while out running around.
Jim

OP
OP
J

jay16910

Jul 13, 2018
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jim. Did you come across anything worthwhile in your time down here?

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jay, have you tried asking permission from the rangers office? I have a permit for our city parks and a permit for our county parks.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure which town you live in but this link can be very helpful. Some of the maps go back to the 1800s depending on certain parts of the country.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

And I see there is not a lot of activity on the Wyoming part of TreasureNet but you could always try to ask for advice or look for any club or metal detecting hunts happening in your state.

Wyoming

And one more really helpful site you could try is onXmaps. This shows you boundary lines and who owns the property.

Good luck.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks jim. Did you come across anything worthwhile in your time down here?

Lots of chromium diopside, including nuggets of several carats. None of it really gem grade, however. Also lots of pyrope garnets, but most too small to facet. Found a couple of pygmy faded rattlesnakes, and lots of scorpions in the lower reaches of big dry wash, and a ton of horned toads. Never did find a diamond. The kimberlite pipes were there, but have eroded down, and been covered by erosion debris from the Uintas. There've been a few diamonds found in that country. I'll still go back, but probably not this year. Hope you have good luck.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread