Wyse Forks Battlefield (possible change in the known history of the battle)

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Guys,

A few months back, I had placed a photo of the remnants of a shell I have, found in NC, on the Wyse Forks Battlefield. Thank you TheCannonballGuy for helping me with this, but it turned out to be an 8" shell. There is a couple of things with this. First, from what I know, an 8" shell was only used by naval fort batteries, ships, and railroad guns. I can rule two of those out, the fort and ships, because this battle was inland, and even though the Neuse River ran right by it, there wasn't any ship that sailed up during the few days of the battle (May 7-10, 1865). But what I also know is that the Union, and Confederacy, had taken these naval guns, and mounted them to a railcar, hence the railroad gun. But again, from what I found, there is no knowledge of a railroad gun during this battle. Just to be quick to the point, WTF ???. Does anyone have any other info? Or is this possibly a change in history (but an extremely small change in history)?

Thanks,
Zack (CONFEDR8)

Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Hey Guys,

A few months back, I had placed a photo of the remnants of a shell I have, found in NC, on the Wyse Forks Battlefield. Thank you TheCannonballGuy for helping me with this, but it turned out to be an 8" shell. There is a couple of things with this. First, from what I know, an 8" shell was only used by naval fort batteries, ships, and railroad guns. I can rule two of those out, the fort and ships, because this battle was inland, and even though the Neuse River ran right by it, there wasn't any ship that sailed up during the few days of the battle (May 7-10, 1865). But what I also know is that the Union, and Confederacy, had taken these naval guns, and mounted them to a railcar, hence the railroad gun. But again, from what I found, there is no knowledge of a railroad gun during this battle. Just to be quick to the point, WTF ???. Does anyone have any other info? Or is this possibly a change in history (but an extremely small change in history)?

Thanks,
Zack (CONFEDR8)

"Skirmishing continued for the next few days until Hoke tried again to turn the Federal left flank on March 10. The Federal position had been strongly fortified by artillery and repulsed Hoke's attack within an hour. Hill then moved against the Union center but again Federal artillery proved decisive and the attackers were repulsed." Battle of Wyse Fork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Siege and garrison mortars were constructed to be light enough to be transported by an army on the march. They were also used in the trenches at sieges and in defense of fortifications. These 8- and 10-inch weapons were made of iron." The Civil War Artillery Projectile and Cannon Home Page

LA Beep

OP
OP
C

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info, but it I know it isn't a mortar shell, because of the thickness of the wall. I know it would have come from one of the 8 inch guns/cannons, I just don't know what kind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread