Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa and I got out for a bit of hunting this week. Was quite chilly but bearable. (mid 30's) We end up looking for a site that's on the back side of some property we have permission to hunt. We were never able to access this site before, as it's in a very thick stand of trees and briar's.
100_0165.jpg

We get to where we think we should start out and to our surprise, see someone has cut us a route! Lucky us! 8)
100_0175-1.jpg

100_0179.jpg

We find the site we're looking for, but discover something we've never come across before....

[youtube=425,350]Rqy96WF33nk[/youtube]

Can you believe that! Frozen dirt in Alabama? :icon_scratch: We've never had to experience such. :D Reminded me of a couple of years back when we were having a drought. Like trying to pry thru concrete. :-X
Ya'll would'a got a good laugh at us had you seen all that icy dirt flying around. When we did manage to get to a target, it was wrapped in a nice package of frozen dirt....and I soon found blobs of mud in my pocket as they slowly thawed. :-X :D It was rather difficult digging, but we had fun.
Here's my prize keepers from this site....
unreadable date wheat
1886 Injun
buttons
bullets
1/2 of a heart locket
cover to a lock?
a round lead disc
100_0189.jpg
round lead disc?

100_0172.jpg

Lisa found a 1905 Injun and a great token!

I can now truly sympathize with those of you that have these digging conditions for more than a couple of days! :wink:

Nana :-*

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hey gal,I'm proud of you and Lisa hittin' it in 30 degree weather!Glad you got IH's,shows how old of a site it is.Hit it again. :thumbsup:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Glad you were so brave as to get out Nana. I can't wait till sunday. :icon_sunny:

I love the old finds but am curious about the lead disc. Looks like someones attempt at counterfeiting. Is there anything on the other side? :icon_scratch:

Randy

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I was hoping the ground was not frozen. I'm taking my son out on Friday to an area where we're trying to locate a skirmish site. Sounds like I need to pack a pick with the shovel. Will be our first time out since the cold weather started. Nana, was it mainly the top inch or so that was frozen or was it deeper? You see, we're gonna be in your neck of the woods (loosely speaking) and I was just wondering.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead disc which has a coin imprint.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Jeff. I'm not sure what the disc is. I can see some writing only on one side, but it's so faint, I can't make it out. I can't see anything on the other side, Randy. But I thought maybe the same thing as there is what looks like a reeded edge on the writing side. Maybe just lead seal? I don't know?
Yes, Rob...and glad it doesn't stay frozen for very long. I can see where many more days of these digging conditions and it wouldn't be nearly as funny! :P :D
We'll get back back out there WSD...hopefully the ice will be gone. Suppose to get back up into the 60's in the next couple of days. :icon_thumright:
Bill...you'll be OK if you're hunting in the woods with lots of cover. (Don't forget to wear your orange)The majority of this site was exposed by the dozer, and it was frozen. Most everything under the trees was good to go...our only drawback, was beyond the dozer run around the site was so thick it was difficult to get in there. AND our temps are not going to be as cold for the next few days, so maybe it'll all be good for you two by Sunday. Good luck! :)
You really think so, Cru? Wow! That would be way cool! Thanks!

Thanks!! Nana

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I just got out of a meeting with a couple folks from Huntsville. They told me how cold it's been and that the ground was frozen. Our ground is nice a soft. Only trouble is that there is a foot of snow on top of it! :thumbsup:

I got a good laugh out of the video. I'm surprised you didn't give up after that.

Bob

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great finds, Nana!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's about the only thing I like about snow - it tends to insulate the ground a little from the deep cold. Watching that video and seeing your digger bounce off of the dirt, I wanted to hand you my shovel to use. (Well, it's really Mark's and I'm borrowing it.)

The best thing about your video is how you took it in stride & were laughing at the situation. That really brighhtened my day! :thumbsup: :wink:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You gals had a good day despite the frozen ground. Dman (Burt) and I had the same problem in some spots today in Tennessee hunting CW relics. It was unusual in that some areas were easy digging and others on the same farm were almost impossible to dig. We had 11 or 12 relics between us and may post tommorow if we get to go again. Good job Southern Belle!!! Smile Bama Nana-ground to thaw this weekend, Quindy.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congradulations on the finds Nana. Hope you find plenty more. Thanks for sharing

S

seger98

Some really nice relic finds. That does look like a lock cover.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on some really nice finds. Vol and I got out for a while today and the ground was frozen in a few places. I hope to see some more good finds from that site.
Burt

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
LMAO. :laughing9:

I just watched the video. I was at work when I replied earlier and I can't watch videos on that puter. I been having the same problem. I'm working on a digger that will solve that problem for us. When I get it finished, you'll be the first to see it. :wink:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That's a nice assortment Nana.
I'd suspect it would be a good place to grid off and make sure nothing was missed.
Might not be a bad idea to take along one of those swingy type weed wackers and knock a few weeds down as they begin to grow so you can hit the spot again when everything thaws well.
Soil condition definitely affects detectin.

Best
rmptr

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You go girl!! You get your butt out there and crack through blocks of ice cause you can't help yourself and you post those goodies on here for the rest of us to look at that are too skinny or chicken to get out in the sub freezing temps!!

I haven't been out in months! I'm so jealous! >:(

Love ya,
Moon

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that hilarious video Nana. It reminded me of a caveman learning how to start a fire for the first time. :laughing7:
Way to put that Lesche to work. :icon_thumleft:
I ran into that same thing yesterday with my shovel. The ground was undiggable and I was so confused. :dontknow:
Congrats on the nice relics you two,
MM

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the only good thing to a cold winter is less bugs come summer.

nice finds nana, I actually bent a cold chisel the last time I got out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread