X-terra 305 woth 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil

Fishermanjuice

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

For those disappointed by the 305 stock 9" concentric (depth and coverage), I want to let you know my first results with the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil. My new DD arrived earlier in the week and I had about 40 minutes after work to hunt yesterday before the snow started falling again in Pittsburgh. I hunted my front yard, which I thought I had cleaned out very well after multiple occasions of hunting it. In 40 minutes I dug up 4 clad dimes and 2 pennies. They were not really much deeper than the concentric was hitting (about 4-5") but I think the extra area of coverage of the DD was hitting on them better. I did an air test for depth in the basement and I get about 2" more depth with the DD. Pinpointing takes a minute to learn, but works well once you figure it out. All in all, this is a big improvement and I am excited to try some areas that are more likely to have older coins. I recommend the DD if you have an X-terra! I expect the smaller size compared with the WOT and NEL coils will be helpful in trashy areas as well.

Cheers,
Fishermanjuice

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I actually have done really well with the stock 7.5kHz coil but it could be the difference in our soil conditions.I also have the 9" 3kHz and 5x10 DD 18.75kHz coils. I will use the 3kHz coil a little more this season but I hunted one park last season with the 7.5kHz and took around $60 in just clad out of it in just a few days and some coins as deep as 6-7" with the stock coil. I really killed the nickels, which alot of other MDs seem to have problems with but I dug some of those down to 6".Glad you like the DD coil and I am sure that you have found that it separates targets better.I have thought about buying that same coil but I am going to alternate the 7.5kHz and 3kHz this season which will keep me busy enough.Keep us posted.Good luck!

OP
OP
F

Fishermanjuice

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have got the 3 kHz if the 305 could run that. It doesn't though, so I went with what I think is the next best thing.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As ZR2 stated, really depends on your soil mineralization. If yours is like mine on the other side of the state, the DD coils work much better. The 7.5khz DD coil is a very good all around coil.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a good choice. It will do you well. Everyone should have a MF DD in the arsenal. It combines honest TIDs with good mineralization handling and good target separation.

OP
OP
F

Fishermanjuice

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly don't understand why minelab doesn't have this coil as the standard. I guess other places do well with the concentric, but the DD does what I expected this detector to be capable of doing when I first bought it. Minelab should have two packages, one the concentric and the other DD.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do for the 705, but the DD is a 5x10" HF eliptical that isn't waterproof in the Gold Pack. They also just started selling a 705 two coil package that includes both the 5x10" HF and the 9" MF CC.

I know that it does you no good to know about it, having a 305, but the DD coils are a more expensive coil and the 305 is intended to be an affordable introduction to Minelab machines, and unlike the 10.5" DD the 9" CC is waterproof. There is still a benefit to buying additional coils for your 305, and that is because they are upwardly compatable with 505s and 705s. So whether you upgrade to another Xterra, or just sell them off, there will be a market for any that you don't want.

OP
OP
F

Fishermanjuice

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The waterproof will be good. I will be able to use the concentric at the lake and might get something good there. I appreciate both coils, but as they retail for about the same amount, I figure it could be easy enough to offer two packages, one with either coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions