X-terra 50 thru 705

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the depth of most Minelabs to be fairly consistant between models with most of the differences because of coil frequency used at the hunt location. One freq might be better at some places and not be great at others (suck). As for the Kellyco site to compare features, it helps in choosing features that you think you need. IMO, the more features the more chance to plug up the flow of information. :laughing7:

Good Luck,
Sandman

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the xterra 50 and I really loved that thing...It had good depth and I noticed I did not dig as much iron stuff. The xterra 50 has a manual ground balance..............I think between the older 50 and the new 505 is the older 50 only could use the medium and high frequency coils. The newer 505 can take all 3 frequency coils just like the older xterra 70 did..........I am not sure about about the difference between the 505 and 705..........Since the newer xterras have hit the market the used xterra 50 and 70 prices have dropped considerably........In my honest opinion if you choose the older xterra 50 it will service you well as the older 70 would too. I do not know what kind of hunting you plan on doing but if you was ever going to do some prospecting then go for the 70 or 705. If you are not then just get the 50 or 505. I have read on this site that some peoples experiences with their xterra 50 said it would not pick up a coin deeper than 4 inches............Those same people either had a faulty machine, was at a place where no one lost anything or just did not know how to use a metal detector. Let us know which one you go with, Tim

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Yes there are differences and yes the machines will hit deep and yes it means you will have to know how to set up the machine. Different coils run in different freqs and have different depth potential.
the 705 will go a little deeper than the 70, I have read up to an inch or 2. The 705 has a backlight and some other improvements over the 70.
705 has prospecting mode 505 nope.
705 has automatic ground tracking 505 nope.
there are other diffs not sure what all are off the top
50 and 505 have automatic GB. But no tracking feature
705 has more noise canceling channels (are automatic)
all auto features can be adjusted manualy
30 and 305 are all manualy adjustments (I believe)
I would buy another 705 and would not hesitate to get a 505 or 50
I have thought about getting a 305 for a backup (it will use MOST of the Xterra coils)

Deeper than 4" for sure

There is an X Terra section at another forum, they have lots of proficient users who are willing to share setup info and helps

PM me if you like

HH
Jeff

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an xterra 70 and it was a good machine good depth. I also had an xterra 305 also very good detector good depth. Quite similar other than the prospecting mode on the 70. I know have an xterra 50 and it also is a very good detector good depth as well . All are pretty similar and all are good detectors.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 705 also has a faster processor than the 70 or 505 and so has a little bit better response time as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread