X-terra 70 finally got here....update

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
;D wow what a detector. I found seveal pennies, 2 buckles(worthless), an aeronautics tag for some flight computer, and shell casings. I am definitely surprised at how correct the id is.. pennies 32-34, pull tab 12, 16, and 18. I dug several before I became a believer. 1913 quarter hit at 42. buffalo nickle at 12, and tax tokens at 32 also.
I did have some eradic readings, so i turned down the sensitivity and was able to distiguish the separate targets. had a reading of 12 then 42, crossed and got the same reading...dug down pull tab 1in above the 1913 quarter at 6 1/2 inches. the funny thing is the guy that owns the property said his uncle was a (professional) t-her and he had hit this site hard... that I wouldn't find anything... ::) I'll be going back to clean up what he missed... I'll try to post the pics in the next couple of days.
this detector has so much to offer that after about 3 months Ill try to give a field report.. I still get over how sensitive this detector is.. I had the sens set at 17 and backed all the way down to 7 and was still hitting at 6 1/2. I know that doesn't that deep but the site i was at was very trashy.. pulltabs every 7 to 8 inches... if you have any tips on this detector let me know... GH...

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: X-terra 70 finally got here....

Fantastic on the finds and I agree, I think the xt70 is a great machine. I was thinking of trading up but, why. If it works, keep it. Look forward to your review. Joe

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have just used mine once for about two hours. I could not get a signal on a silver quarter 5" if sens was not up to 14. It does make a difference in soil condition. I love what it does so far though. Can't wait to get out again.
Burdie

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

JoeSWFF said:
Fantastic on the finds and I agree, I think the xt70 is a great machine. I was thinking of trading up but, why. If it works, keep it. Look forward to your review. Joe
:o :o ??? ???....................................................... :o ???.......................................................................Well if you have a ...X-Terra 70 .... I did not know you could trade up it's the best if you traded for anything it would be trading down..........................................==Jim==

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

UnEarthed72 said:
What did you pay for the X-terra70
right at 690.00
www.gerrysdetectors.com
this guy knows his minelabs.
on some the of minelab brochures has nuggets that he himself has found... check him out.

DTDJR07

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2008
Yamhill County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra70.....Garrett- Scorpion

Hey, GoneHunting,
Just wanted to say Thank You for the timing of this post. I have been searching for a Terra 70 for a couple weeks now. All the adds I read did not feel right :-\ , yet I had a good idea the 70 would be my choice (I had just posted a thread yesterday seeking opinions between Terra 70 and Garrett Infinium). I checked the link you provided....Outstanding, I now know what I want and more importantly, where I will take my business. It is almost like Gerry was reading my mind (the comments he makes). Thanks for the timing on this. DTDJR. Hope my wife understands!!! ;D

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DTDJR07 said:
Hey, GoneHunting,
Just wanted to say Thank You for the timing of this post. I have been searching for a Terra 70 for a couple weeks now. All the adds I read did not feel right :-\ , yet I had a good idea the 70 would be my choice (I had just posted a thread yesterday seeking opinions between Terra 70 and Garrett Infinium). I checked the link you provided....Outstanding, I now know what I want and more importantly, where I will take my business. It is almost like Gerry was reading my mind (the comments he makes). Thanks for the timing on this. DTDJR. Hope my wife understands!!! ;D
Hope my wife understands!!! ;D sounds familiar....mine is still shaking her head... 8) Good luck

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gadabout - Jim said:
JoeSWFF said:
:o :o ??? ???....................................................... :o ???.......................................................................Well if you have a ...X-Terra 70 .... I did not know you could trade up it's the best if you traded for anything it would be trading down..........................................==Jim==

Your quite right, I guess a sideway trade, was thinking of the Sovereign GT but, dicided to just stay where I am.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am waiting for my xterra70 to arrive... I traded my dfx for a total setup on the xterra.. I have everything, all the coils w/covers/ dust cover, bag, video all of need nothing at the moment but for it to arrive..as I have be studying the online instructions..cannot wait to get it...

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bootybay said:
I am waiting for my xterra70 to arrive... I traded my dfx for a total setup on the xterra.. I have everything, all the coils w/covers/ dust cover, bag, video all of need nothing at the moment but for it to arrive..as I have be studying the online instructions..cannot wait to get it...
You will definitely be impressed. I've learned to really pay attention to the id. if it jumps more than 2 digits it usually is not a coin. and auto tune your gb every so often. also if your readings get to be too erratic lower your sens a couple. raise it if the ground gets too quiet... good luck..GH

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hope my wife understands!!! ;D sounds familiar....mine is still shaking her head... 8) Good luck

[/quote]

:D :D :D Some of us just down't have the spouse that understands! ::)
My wife wants a garden so she can play in the dirt but won't go md'ing to find a gold and diamond ring! She says she's waiting for me to find it for her! :P

I've been seriously ( Really serious) thinking about the xt70 myself... but I'd have to sell my machine now to help upgrade and go a few weeks without a machine handy. Decisions, decisions... :'(

DTDJR07

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2008
Yamhill County, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Okay, so I follow GH's recommendation and called Gerry's M.D. We spoke on the phone for awhile. I had been struggling between the X-Terra 70 (with the pro pack) and Tesoro Lobo. I went with the X-Terra. I am a rookie so I took him up on the three day training he does. Oregon gold country in May. Nice!!! Whats better, my wife understands. Get this though, :o I scheduled the 3 day training, one of the days falls on our 20th anniversary. I thought "I'm am toast". My lovely wife just looked and me and said Okay! I say Really? Life is good!!!!! ;D So my 14 yr old son and I have been reading, watching the video and experimenting with this machine. Going to be nice. It is very different from the sons Scorpion, but Hey. I will post a follow up after spending 3 days in May,in the gold country with Gerry. I suspect it will be a blast!!
Check out his website. www.gerrysdetectors.com
Thanks Gonehunting, I appreciate the original post and info you provided.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DTDJR07 said:
Okay, so I follow GH's recommendation and called Gerry's M.D. We spoke on the phone for awhile. I had been struggling between the X-Terra 70 (with the pro pack) and Tesoro Lobo. I went with the X-Terra. I am a rookie so I took him up on the three day training he does. Oregon gold country in May. Nice!!! Whats better, my wife understands. Get this though, :o I scheduled the 3 day training, one of the days falls on our 20th anniversary. I thought "I'm am toast". My lovely wife just looked and me and said Okay! I say Really? Life is good!!!!! ;D So my 14 yr old son and I have been reading, watching the video and experimenting with this machine. Going to be nice. It is very different from the sons Scorpion, but Hey. I will post a follow up after spending 3 days in May,in the gold country with Gerry. I suspect it will be a blast!!
Check out his website. www.gerrysdetectors.com
Thanks Gonehunting, I appreciate the original post and info you provided.
Hey guys this machine is tops. I sent DTDJR a pm reguarding using all metal mode, it has double what i am finding and i am finding stuff that i was missing while using the patterns. DTDJR if you could paste that pm back on this topic it might help others too.... ;D Evan

DTDJR07

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2008
Yamhill County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Re: X-terra 70 finally got here....CONTINUED

Here is the PM I received from GH. I am not quite as far along as Evan in the learning curve with this MD. Tomorrow I plan on taking it out on its maiden voyage. ;D

Hey Don,
Man it is going great... I have learned alot about this machine just in the last couple of days. I have started not using the patterns. I ground balance and noise cancel, then go to all metal. When you discriminate a certain number, any thing that is close to that number has a chance to be knocked out too. what I mean is when there is alot of trash and you have a coin in the same area, if you are discrimating the trash the machine may not have enough time to hit the good target.. I don't know if you get what I am saying. but if the machine is not making a noise, (cause of descrimation) and the tone of the good signal(coin) is not as strong, the machine will either remain quiet or chatter...since going to all metal (yes it is noisy) i hear all of the tones (3 tone setting) and when I hear one above the iron or low freq, i will slow down and check that one.. so far I have doubled what I have been finding... I went to the same back yard that I have been going to since I got my x70 and found more coins and buttons since changing to the all metal... don't know if this helps. went to the local park, where every one hits and found 38 cents including a quarter.....Evan

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don't get me wrong I still use the patterns. I've used i think it is pattern one. and knock out everything below + 8 and +48. cause it seems the larger iron will hit 48 and -8 almost at the same time. I try and dig every signal that is repeating. If it says like 36 or 38 or the higher numbers that screem silver and is over 8 inches, I'll pinpoint to check the size. if it sounds bigger than what my test coins sound like at that depth(not the tone but the size of the tone) then it usually is a very large peice of iron, actually deeper than the id says. sometimes i'll even hit prospecting mode to see if is a small peice of metal, ie coin. now if your in a very trashy area that won't help. Hope this wasn't confusing. By the way most of the sites i go to are at the turn of the century and there never any pulltabs. most things I find are large caliber pistol rounds, shotgun brass, buttons, coins, and buckles.

coinsh00ter

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2008
Great posts gonehunting, I'm finding the same things. I've been digging everything, but if I get any jumping, or negatives while pinpointing it always is iron. Still no silver, but the deep wheaties I have found have been nice repeatable, stable numbers.
This machine is great.
Dave in NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions