X-Terra 70 or Quattro?

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I don't know anything about the x-terra, but had a Quattro for over a year and LOVED it! I used it mainly on the beach and dug some really deep holes!

Found it very user friendly and has a small learning curve. If you chose this detector, I highly recommend Andy Sabisch's book "Mastering the Quattro".

I wanted a water detector really bad, so I cashed in all my clad from the Quattro, and traded it in for a Excalibur 1000. Wished I could have kept it. When I save enough from the Excalibur, I hope to get another Quattro for a back up.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Thanks surf,
This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

gb

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Quattro for a year. It does find things. Operates well in fields, in wet and dry sand, trashy areas. I like it but do not love it. I would have liked to been able to afford the Explorer II. But for the money I am very satisfied with the Quattro. I found a large cent at 8", a quarter at 12" at the beach, and very small silver jewelry clasp at 12" in a playground area. I may not be the best at using the Quattro but I cannot tell if my doubts or times when I don't find things it is me or the detector. Bottom line is the Quattro good for the money.

Noticed the other day on a for sale detector area that there where a lot more X-Terra 70,50,30 for sell by buyers than Quattros, about 10 to 1 Quattro. This speaks volumes

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
That's an argument that even I can understand! Thanks, Ed. I seem to be following in your footsteps here. I have my IDX PRO and love it but am seriously thinking of the Quattro now. Next year, probably a water machine.

grizzly bare

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
I have a quattro mp i love this detector! i have had it for about a year found some cool goody's from 1890 hat pin a copper baby's ring , silver ring , some old coins.After going threw mastering the guattro book i leared a lot more about the quattro and found more thing wear i allready looked ween i first got the quttro ;D :o

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Minelab have ratings of their machines on their latest pamphlets.The X Terra range of machines is rated lower than the Sovereign in performance and the Sovereign is rated lower than the Quatro and Explorer2. So you can see the Xterra range are not in the same league as the Quatro. the Quatro is the one to get for sure.
Good hunting seeya Neilo ;D

Willy

Depends on what you're looking for. If you plan on prospecting for gold, I'd say the X70. It seems to operate much like the MXT at high gain and over bad ground. It's also extremely sensitive to small targets. Depthwise, it seems to be at least as deep as any other high end detector in bad ground. It has a number of advantages over the MXT insofar as the disc./tone system is much better, has manual GB, is lighter, and has great life on only 4 AA's. When the 5x10" DD coil becomes widely available it should be one HOT prospecting detector. This carries over into jewellry hunting, enabling a person to find difficult targets (fine chains, ear studs) that other detectors will miss. It seems to handle iron much like a Tesoro and, coupled with the fast retune speed and the ability to jack up the sweep speed, lets a person cover a lot of ground while being able to handle trash. ...Willy.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The Quatro will handle salty beach conditions and mineralised ground conditions better than the Xterra. The Sensitivity on the Xterra will have generally have to be turned down in these conditions reducing the depth capabilities of the machine.Stick with the Quatro it is better suited to your needs. Seeya Neilo

Willy

The Quattro also comes with a DD coil, which makes a big difference when hunting over tough ground. The X70 will have DD coils soon. There are a few places taking preorders for the 5x10" DD coil for the X70. Regarding the ground handling capabilities, I can't really comment on the saltwater beach aspect, but mineralised ground is a different matter. Given the same size/type coils on both machines I wouldn't bet the farm on the Quattro handling the ground better. I'd think that the X70 would have a more sophisticated ground tracking system, given that it's much newer and, presumably, Minelab has had more time improve it. There's been much to-do about multifrequency vs. single frequency, but all I can say is that, in my highly mineralized ground, I haven't seen any advantage either way.. both can go deep. As an aside, when I had my MXT, sticking a 5x10 DD on it allowed me to operate it at maximum gain with no problems. Using the stock concentric coil, on the other hand, allowed me to run at about 2/3 of that sensitivity.. a pretty big difference. ..Willy.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
There are a feild tests done on the Xterra 70 which might be worth a read. I have pulled coins out at over 12 inch in wet salty conditions with the Quatro, In one of the feild test of the Xterra was only able to acheive 8 inches. Mono coils detect deeper than double d coils . But in mineralised ground the double d is quieter and easier to identify signals. I know plenty of gold detectorists who only use mono coils in noisy ground with experience they are able to identify the good signals and take advantage of the extra depth these coils acheive. seeya Neilo. ;D

Hi Willy

Willy

Hi Neilo. I basically use a DD coil (when available) for all my detecting. The reduced ground response allows me to run the detector at such high gain levels that greater depth AND sensitivity (to small targets) can be had over what can be achieved with a concentric coil. The problem with the concentric coil (remember, I'm NOT talking PI detectors) being used over my ground is that often the magnetite will produce an overload signal, regardless of sensitivity setting or brand. This goes beyond plain ol' ground noise. Successful nugget hunting requires a person to be able to distinguish between ground noise and targets.. at least if high gain levels are being used. It's interesting to see just what is left, at a number of sites I like to play around on, by people who run thier detectors too "stable". Yup, they get a nice, quiet machine; they also leave a lot of deep silver and gold in the ground. If a person is willing to listen to a bit of ground noise, the depths that a mere VLF detector will reach can be quite impressive. So far, despite the fact that my X70 has to be sent in for repair, I've been able to detect targets (coin sized) considerably deeper than 8". Yet again, I must state that this is in highly mineralised ground.. not a saltwater beach. On the other hand, if I want scary depth, out comes my PI. Right now it looks like the Pulse Devil will be in production this summer (fingers crossed) and, given what I've read so far, a lot of these depth discussions will become moot.. unless a person is hunting in an area of low mineralisation. One thing that has not been resolved is the minimum target size that it will detect; there may still be a niche available for a VLF.. really small targets. This basically applies to nasty ground. ...Willy.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I just received the new Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, and it features the Quattro in it's field test. You might want to read it.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Everyone,
Thanks very much for all the input and suggestions. Have ordered the Quattro and it should be here sometime during the week.
Next question: What extra coils should I invest in? WOT? Platypus? Joey? Excelerator?

grizzly bare

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Just one more point of reference. Just got back from a prospecting trip part of it in AZ. Hooked up with a local for some nugget shooting in a dry wash. We were using a SD2100, GP3000, Eureka, and Xterra 70 with the gold coil. The Xterra was put back in the truck pretty quickly as it wouldn't find the test nugget. It was checked to make sure it was working and it could find bullets etc, but the gold was pretty much invisible to it. It was a couple grains at least. All the other detectors of course could see it fine. For a machine that advertizes itself as a gold detector as well, it didn't impress me much.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone earlier posted that they would have an Explorer II instead. The Explorer is not a very "Turn on and Swing" type of detector. A fair learning curve and somewhat complicated. Not the Quattro. And as the quote from Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade....."You chose.......wisely" I've got an SD2000 modded, and an Excalibur, and my Quattro is BY FAR the easiest to use!

Good luck-Mike

OP
OP
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
ALL,
Got the Quattro yesterday after work. Putting it together was a snap. Went out to my coin garden. One word. WOW!
Picked up every coin and was accurate on depth and composition. I have a 12' dime (just so I can laugh at myself) Hit it first time! Can't wait to get this jewel out on the fringes of the battlefields and ghosttowns.

A big thank you to all those who advised me to forget the X70 and go with the Quattro.

grizzly bare

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Grizzly If you want the better all round coil go for the Platypus,it out performs the standard coil being more sensitive to smaller targets and detects deeper giving much clearer signals.They nearly match the bigger 15inch wot coil as far as depth goes, and are much easier to pin point. try this site it will give you Andy Sabisch feild report on the coil and also where to get it. Good luck seeya Neilo

http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/specordr.html

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo, you hit the nail on the head with the Platypus coil suggestion.

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions