X-Terra 705 Gold detector coils ????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at this detector for Gold and some coin detecting. It comes with the 18.75 KHz Double D Elliptical coil. If I want to switch coils to do some coin detecting which other coil do I want to get either the 7.5 KHz or the 3 KHz coil and what are there primary use?? I will be doing more gold detecting in stream beds and some river when the water drops this coming summer. I live in Northern California Sierra mountain Foothills and we have quite a few good locations for detecting. Feedback greatly appreciated on the use of these coils. Thanks

Bill

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, the lower the frequency the better for your higher conductive targets like silver coins. The 7.5 kHz is great for all around general detecting and is great for coin shooting. The 3 KHz coil is definitely geared more toward the "deeper" silver coin type targets. That is one of the great things about the 705. Change the coil and you have a different tool depending on what your hunting for. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tired Rooster; Thanks for the feedback. Question will the 18.75 coil work at all for coin detecting till I can afford the 7.5 coil which may be awhile. I could go with the regular 705 and not the gold model. I see it also has a prospector mode but I do now how sensitive to gold it is as the other version 705 gold model. If the 18.75 coil will work for coins at all I will go that way. Appreciate your feedback Thanks

Bill

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is yes. You can successfully hunt coins with the 18.75 Khz coil. I have done it many times with no problem.....found a lot of coins with that coil. I bought the dual pack several years ago. It came with the 18.75 and the 7.5 coils. I later on bought the 3 Khz coil to add to it. The 7.5 will be "better" for coin shooting. But you can do just fine with the 18.75 till you got one. It is such a versatile machine and not difficult to learn.

T.R.

OP
OP
A

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Rooster; Another question on the X-Terra detectors. Can a person buy the standard X-Terra model and be able to change coils like the GOLD model and have the same model as the GOLD or does the Gold model have special programing for changing coils that the regular X-Terra does not have? Thanks

Bill

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a higher frequency coil will actually work better at finding coins, especially in areas with electrical interference.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astro. There is absolutely no difference. The X-Terra 705 is the X-Terra 705. The "gold" 705 is just what they call a 705 with the 18.75 KHz coil. It's the exact same machine. Take the 18.75 coil off and plug in the 3 KHz coil and you still have the SAME machine. Just transmitting a different frequency into the ground for different hunting applications.

Now there is a 305 and 505 Xterra. But these two do not have the capabilities of the 705.....which is what we are discussing.

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been using the X TERRA 705 since 2009 which I purchased used with three coils one coil with each frequency that the 705 can run I have tried all three but the main coil I use the most is the 5x10-18,75 KHZ have found my best finds with that coil and it rarely comes off of my 705 if ever I use that particular coil for everything from gold detection to coin hunting and believe it or not I have dug up mercs down to 10 or 11 inches with that particular coil I run in prospecting mode almost exclusively with the GB tracking activated the X TERRA 705 to me is and always has been one of the most under rated detectors on the market still to this day.

the one coil which I have always wanted to try is the coil tech 3 KHZ digger coil I have heard and read amazing things about it but have never had the opportunity to try one

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Red Rooster; Another question on the X-Terra detectors. Can a person buy the standard X-Terra model and be able to change coils like the GOLD model and have the same model as the GOLD or does the Gold model have special programing for changing coils that the regular X-Terra does not have? Thanks

Bill

They also sell the 705 dual pack which comes with the 5x10 18.75 KHZ coil and the 7 inch 7.5 KHZ coil so it comes with two coils which would be a good way to go then if you wanted the 3 KHZ coil thats the only one you would have to puchase extra which I would look at the Digger coil 3 KHZ

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the X TERRA 705 since 2009 which I purchased used with three coils one coil with each frequency that the 705 can run I have tried all three but the main coil I use the most is the 5x10-18,75 KHZ have found my best finds with that coil and it rarely comes off of my 705 if ever I use that particular coil for everything from gold detection to coin hunting and believe it or not I have dug up mercs down to 10 or 11 inches with that particular coil I run in prospecting mode almost exclusively with the GB tracking activated the X TERRA 705 to me is and always has been one of the most under rated detectors on the market still to this day.

the one coil which I have always wanted to try is the coil tech 3 KHZ digger coil I have heard and read amazing things about it but have never had the opportunity to try one

I totally agree. The X Terra 705 is VERY underrated and still is.
I happen to have a Coiltek 6" 3Khz Digger coil all wrapped up lying under the Christmas tree. I too have always wanted to try one.......I'll soon be able too!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally agree. The X Terra 705 is VERY underrated and still is.
I happen to have a Coiltek 6" 3Khz Digger coil all wrapped up lying under the Christmas tree. I too have always wanted to try one.......I'll soon be able too!

in my opinion most people that purchase the 705 does not give it enough time and try and learn exactly what the 705 is actually capable of and end up selling it and the one thing I learned with it is there is always more things to learn about it I made a mistake when i first got the 705 and traded the 3 KHZ coil that came with it for a 6 inch HF coil and I wish I had not and just kept the 3 KHZ coil but thats in the past so spilt milk so to say but I would love to try that digger coil and will someday,I still find myself even after as long as I have been using the 705 still it teaches me something new all the time it is the one detector I will never part with even though I have purchased several detectors I have never took to any of them like I did with the 705

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a firm believer in the X-terra series, started with the 305 then got the 505 a year later,used it for about 4 years and found it to be something that I could use with a lot of confidence in adjusting for max depth for conditions and as to what I was seeing by its reaction to targets!!! Got my 705 gold pack a year ago and I am still learning It but love the auto ground balance and the backlight,, point is about this is to learn the machine! it takes time, I know, and switching coil frequency does make the x-terra act different to targets,,,always great depth and accurate once at know how they react!!!!!!Great line from Minelab will have mine for quite a while I suspect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread