X-terra 705 vs Explorer SE

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been looking at upgrading, partly to get better information to decide whether or not to dig, but also to allow me to detect salt water beaches on future vacations. I've got what I think is a reasonable deal on an Explorer SE locally, but am just not sure. I currently swing an X-terra 705, and am pretty happy with it as an all around detector. My two big hang ups are 1) I would really like to be waterproo (even if only 1 meter), mainly just because it gives me more options (not to mention piece of mind) and 2) I like the option of prospecting, though I haven't gone much, and am not even sure there are enough options near me to justify keeping it. Realistically, MOST of my detecting is coin shooting, with some hope of older coins, jewelry, and relics (ghost town's where I'm just digging every signal). Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

I know the first thing people will say is "both!" And in an ideal world, I would, but my budget just won't allow that right now...

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I don't think the Explorer is going to help you in any way prospecting. There is an Explorer on craigs for a grand with four coils and it's been listed a long time so one might be able to get it for a better deal.
There is a new listing in Blackhawk for a garrett at pro for $300. Great deal and you can dunk it right in.
I'm down in west metro and I have a very nice Explorer SE pro that I would like to move. Hit me with a PM if you want to discuss.
Good luck to you up there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As xr7ator says: The Explorer Se isn't going to have any ability for nuggets, like your 705 has.

But the Explorer is going to utterly spank the 705 at beach hunting. The 705, despite having the supposed "beach mode", is terrible at wet salt-water beaches, IMHO.

The Explorer is going to be the better all-around coin/relic machine. Because the 705 was intended as a "cross-over" machine (both nuggets AND coins). Hence the 705 excels in neither arena, d/t compromises to make it a "cross-over".

If you're going to get the explorer SE, make sure it's the "pro" version. There were some earlier versions that did not measure up. Minelab came out with the "pro" coil to fix the problem. So either get the "pro" version, or simply go out and buy a separate pro. coil to add on to it.

And IMHO: The explorer II has sweeter sounds and locks on better @ the first pass over deeper coins. The Se sped up the recovery (in the name of target separation I guess) and ... in the process, you have to listen harder to hear the deeper coins. So the SE wasn't one of the popular ones in the explorer incarnation/evolutions.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Don't tell that to Dan........Have not heard from him in a while?

And IMHO: The explorer II has sweeter sounds and locks on better @ the first pass over deeper coins. The Se sped up the recovery (in the name of target separation I guess) and ... in the process, you have to listen harder to hear the deeper coins. So the SE wasn't one of the popular ones in the explorer incarnation/evolutions.[/QUOTE]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the explorers are water proof, the Explorer SE can still be repaired as the parts are the same as the Explorer SE which is still supported by Minelab. Explorer II parts are no longer available.

Explorers will find gold nuggets, but not small gold nuggets. It is not a gold detector.

On wet salt sand beaches the explorer will run rings around an XTerra, XTerra is single freq detector, Explorer is a FBS detector using 28 freqs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't tell that to Dan........Have not heard from him in a while? ....

Yes, some people liked it. It *did* have a superior all-metal pinpoint mode after all (although most persons never used pinpoint, and elected just to "x-marks-the-spot" criss-cross). As far as the faster-recovery meaning that deeper signals tended to be harder to hear: Yes: It might be a "learned audio" nuance.

I just know that having come from the Exp. II: When I tried the Se pro on the beach, I was passing several "nails". But at a certain point, I began to have doubts. So I purposefully studied a few of these deep nail whispers by 5x criss-crossing them . And lo & behold, I could begin to get a hint on conductive. I'd dig down, and low & behold: Deep coins. It occurred to me that my Exp. II would have gotten the confirmation on the first pass over them. But yes: Perhaps it's just individual familiarity with the individual machine's audio.

.... Explorers will find gold nuggets, but not small gold nuggets. It is not a gold detector.....

Sure: Big enough gold nuggets will sound off on ANY machine. But when people are referring to "nuggets", they are usually referring to the type found in nature. And 99.99% of nuggets found in nature are pin-head or grain of rice sized at the largest. But sure: Occasionally a pea or thumb-sized nugget in nature is possible. But if you head to the nugget-producing regions of the world waiting for one of those, you will be one bored person very quickly.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread