X-terra 705?

TheSanDman333

Apr 22, 2012
Viola, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i currently have an ace 250 and i love it. Im wanting to upgrade to a more advanced unit in the not so distant future. I have been looking at the xterra 705 and it seems to be an all around good machine. Can anyone shed some light on it? The goods or the bads

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i currently have an ace 250 and i love it. Im wanting to upgrade to a more advanced unit in the not so distant future. I have been looking at the xterra 705 and it seems to be an all around good machine. Can anyone shed some light on it? The goods or the bads

From what I've seen, the recovery speed is slower than the AT Pro, which is often used in comparison to the 705. If possible, I'd hold out for an E-Trac if you are set on Minelab. Mine has popped out deep silver from hunted parks.

If you do decide to go with the 705, I'd recommend bigboyshobbies.net. Bart charges $729 like most vendors, with free shipping AND a Garrett Pro Pointer and Lesche digger! Other vendors (KELLYCO) offer a bunch of junk with it. Even if you have the pointer and Lesche, I'd rather have a backup in case they need serviced.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 705 is an excellent machine, and an AT Pro isn't even in the same league. The only people that make that comparison are ATP users that don't know, the same as they constantly do with E-Tracs.

I have both an FBS machine and a V-Flex machine, and the 705 runs just as deep as the Explorer SE. They are different, but actually compliment each other rather than compete. Aspects of both FBS and V-Flex are incorporated in the CTX.

The 705 is a stable running machine that can operate @ 18.75kHz when hunting for gold, lead, pewter, nickel, or other low conductors, then turn around and slam copper, silver, brass/bronze or other high conductors by mearly changing to a 3kHz coil. With 12 available coils in three frequencies it can be tailored to the site and targets sought unlike any other detector on the market.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If you do decide to go with the 705, I'd recommend bigboyshobbies.net. Bart charges $729 like most vendors, with free shipping AND a Garrett Pro Pointer and Lesche digger! Other vendors (KELLYCO) offer a bunch of junk with it. Even if you have the pointer and Lesche, I'd rather have a backup in case they need serviced.[/QUOTE]

I agree Bart can put together a package that offers good value, get what you need rather than what someone wants to push on you.

Last edited:

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It took me months before i bought my first metal detector. It was a toss up between the AT Pro and the 705. I went with the 705 and couldn't be more happy. It's pretty easy to learn and to set up. I like the fact that it has three different pinpointing modes and 3 different frequencies. Different coils have different frequencies, so you'll need to spend some money but you would do so anyway with the AT Pro. The 6in HF DD is great. Fouind my first gold ring with it. It gets sufficient depth and the tones are great too. Another reason i chose the 705 over the screechy, scratchy sounding AT Pro. You should ask Longhair any questions. He's the 705 master.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread