x-terra coils 5"x10" 18.75 khz and DD 10.5" 7.5 khz how much better ?

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
ML 705, ML X-50, Silver U-max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
x-terra coils 5"x10" 18.75 khz and DD 10.5" 7.5 khz how much better ?

Does anyone have some experience using the 5x10 18.75 coil on an X-terra 50/70
The standard coil seems very good until I get to small gold rings or ear rings.
Mostly what I am looking for is if I buy the 5x10 18.75khz coil will it still be "ok" for coins to maybe 6" most of my sites the coins aren't to deep.

My hope is to run sensitivity lower with the 5X10 on soccer/playing fields still hit both coins and gold chains or thin rings, avoiding deeper trash. (most fields are not old and I want to stay 4+/-") The 7.5 khz coil seems to need high sens to hit my wife's very thin gold ring and ear rings but then it leaves me digging deep for trash targets that come in to close to pass on.

I am also thinking about the DD 10.5" coil 7.5 khz, I would hope for some more depth on coins when I need it but I am not sure if I will really gain much depth?

Any info of what I could expect before I spend would help, thanks

Chris Clark MO

Greenie
Jun 10, 2005
Mid MO
Detector(s) used
F-75, Nautilus
I have both, but mostly hunt coins....

and the 10.5 DD is the one I love. Good separation, good coverage and sensitive. It's the on I use most of the time until they come out with a small coil.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: x-terra coils 5"x10" 18.75 khz and DD 10.5" 7.5 khz how much better ?

My experience with the 5x10 18.75DD is limited; just a few hours, but after that time I determined I'm not taking it off any time soon. The straight line signal cuts way down on target masking like with the 7.5khz concentric coil.

I was coin and jewelry hunting, but digging most everything to see what it's about, and does it ever pick up small pieces of metal that the concentric would ordinarily pass over. No jewelry in the short times out, but was getting coins at 7" no problem.

Pinpointing is way more accurate, too. Right off the front tip. Saves time by not having to go to pinpoint mode and the holes I dug were smaller, too. :D

OP
OP
Dug D

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
ML 705, ML X-50, Silver U-max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: x-terra coils 5"x10" 18.75 khz and DD 10.5" 7.5 khz how much better ?

Thanks, it looks like it will work for me and be a big plus to have with the standard coil.

Any chance you have used the DD 7.5 coil, it would be a lot for me to buy both at once but I might save 10.00 in shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread