X-Terra-NEL Hunter vs CTX3030

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Gave my ageing X-Terra 70 a boost and a wet sand/water test with my newly obtained and authorised waterproof 18.75 kHz DD coil from Ukraine by Neoteric Electronics Laboratory (R) NEL.
It was a surprise and joy to use the NEL Hunter attached to my old X-Terra even in salt water, nothing much more satisfying than first hand experience with a coil/detector combo that just work
perfectly together.
If ever there was a single stick it on and leave it on coil this would likely be my choice, a nice easy size to guide around and with excellent sensitivity.
It also seem to have a liking for detecting mobile phones just like the slightly larger NEL Tornado 7.5 kHz coil which on a previous hunt located a working iPhone.
Move over CTX-3030 my much lighter and faster X-Terra with this new waterproof coil will be zooming past.

Looks like I got my X-Terra 70 boost and expanded use in the form of a new coil...........You arrange your own luck.
P5315948_400.jpg

NELHunter-XTerra70_600a.jpg

ivanll

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEL coils for the x-terra are now authorized by Minelab? I will probably buy one if so but I dont see any news about that being so on NELs website....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not on ML's website either.
And if they were authorized, why did ML change the firmware the first of the year to make NEL coils unusable on new Xterra's?

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
To attach an X-Terra to a NEL coil was Authorised by the owner/user, which is not in any way affiliated with Minelab and so do Not need their consent.

The above coil was tested on 3 brand new never used 305, 505, and 705, all 3 detectors was accepted by the NEL coil with a "dH" on the screen.

Let someone have a go with mine............... very impressed.......... new NEL Hunter is ordered and in the post.
NEL-X-Terra.jpg

ivanll

Last edited:

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pardon my ignorance but what does "dH" mean? Bought my 705 late December and would love to get a DD coil with good ground coverage but if it doesn't work I'm not dropping the 200 bones on it.

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
"dH = Double D High Frequency" it's in the user manual on the page with Coil Identification.
"dH" on the screen when a coil is connected also indicates acceptance between coil and detector.
Here we call it the NEL-Terra combination because it works really well, even on salt water beaches as pictured.
I can't be with other x-Terra users without someone wants to purchase my coil or enquire to where it is available.
It totally expands the usability of the x-Terra and give an advantage with little more than a coil and some positive attitude.
In this area I'm getting more and more competition from new 705 users with their NEL-Terra combination.
So much for speakinh up and sharing good news.
:occasion14:
ivanll

Last edited:

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ivanll, thanks for enlightening me. Looks like I will need to get one soon.

Cheers!

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Coiltek will have 3x15"DD coils in the range of 3kHz, 7.5kHz and 18.75 kHz with good coverage they will work on past and the new made in Malaysia X-Terras.

ivanll

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Hi ivanll, I am really looking at an X-Terra 705 to put it up against my CTX with the stock coil. I hear great things about the X-Terra with the 10.5" DD coil. I noticed the NEL Hunter (8.5"X12.5") and thought it might get even better depth and separation than the 10.5" DD coil???? I should say I am looking at the 7.5kHz coil because lower frequencies seem to do better in my somewhat iron mineralized ground.

If you hunt in similar ground, or not, what can you say about the X-Terra with these new NEL coils (preferably 7.5kHz) as far as depth and separation are concerned? I hear they get GREAT depth with the 10.5" coil.

Note - I DO NOT hunt on the beach. I hunt on meadows mostly and some park hunting. MY CTX seems to get around 9" deep on non silver coins with the stock coil.

Thx,
Albert

ps - I really love the CTX but I pack it up on a bike and it is a bit bulky and heavy for that (and my back and elbow on long hunts), so I am looking for a light "replacement". I don't expect a better machine for 1/3 the money, but if it is close with that NEL coil than I'm content.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Albert,
The NEL Hunter do not have better separation of targets than the 10.5" DD but it do have better depth and slightly larger sweep coverage.
Here we use the 18.75kHz coil when gold prospecting, it also works well on salt water beaches so it's a win win situation.
I do have a NEL Tornado 13x12"DD 7.5kHz coil but I prefer the NEL Hunter size.
One word of warning........the New/Latest X-Terra's are not compatible with the present range of NEL coils, so if you want to attach a New X-Terra to a present NEL coil......Try Before You Purchase.
The reason I and many others here prefer X-Terras over the CTX3030 is as you mention weight and mobility also the coil choice is much better.
Coiltek are said to have new coils for the X-Terras.....we'll wait and see if it's a useful size.

Perhaps they'll look something like this.
Artists15impression_zpsc03486b3.jpg
Artists6impression_zps91298217.jpg

ivanll

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread