X-terra VS. MTX-DFX-XLT

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
My hunting partner uses a DFX, and while it's got great depth, there is a lot of programming required to get the most out of it. Most diehard relic hunters where I live use the MXT, including the local White's dealer who can use any one he wants. But for me the Xterra 70 is superior to the above mentioned detectors. It gets great depth, especially with the 10.5 DD, is easy and fun to set up and use, has an ID that you can actually see, and can be swung all day without fatigue. I think the light weight and balance allows you to hunt a few extra hours, when others have called it a day. I had an Xterra 50 previously and wasn't all that impressed with it. The 70 is a different animal altogether.

OP
OP
sandsifter

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
Iguess the Mtx, Dfx and Xlt are all similar?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope, in my opinion the MXT is better for relic hunting than the DFX (not as complicated and has a little more punch in bad ground). As for the XLT, don't know I've never used one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i know is the X-terra 70 tops them all....................................==Jim==

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a m6..its easy to use.. I have found over 1200 coins.. two peices of jewelry.. junk jewelry and one civil war relic.. I like the m6 better then the dfx. but been reading up on the xterra70 like what I have read abou tthat one.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Let me tell you a little story. I went to the group hunt in Otterville Missouri. It was a union camp site, that had been hunted hard for many years. There was a lot of people there on this day, with all kinds of machines. Do you know who found the best buttons, and a silver ring, Me. What was I using a MXT. Does that make the MXT the best machine on the market. Remember this has been hunted for many years by all kinds of machines. No, it doesn't. I believe all top end detectors are pretty close to each other. I will recommend you try them out. Make sure it is comfortable to you. Does it fill balanced, is it to heavy. Next check out the learning curve, do you need your PHD before you can use this. When you finally decide which one to get, read the manual completely. Take it out and practice. Go back home and read the manual again. Keep practicing until you figure it all out. Then practice some more. I have been researching getting another detector, and this is what I will do. The last thing I will look for is someone who is loyal to their brand giving me their opinion. Good luck on your choice. Remember the MXT outdid all others. ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lucky1777 said:
Let me tell you a little story. I went to the group hunt in Otterville Missouri. It was a union camp site, that had been hunted hard for many years. There was a lot of people there on this day, with all kinds of machines. Do you know who found the best buttons, and a silver ring, Me. What was I using a MXT. Does that make the MXT the best machine on the market. Remember this has been hunted for many years by all kinds of machines. No, it doesn't. I believe all top end detectors are pretty close to each other. I will recommend you try them out. Make sure it is comfortable to you. Does it fill balanced, is it to heavy. Next check out the learning curve, do you need your PHD before you can use this. When you finally decide which one to get, read the manual completely. Take it out and practice. Go back home and read the manual again. Keep practicing until you figure it all out. Then practice some more. I have been researching getting another detector, and this is what I will do. The last thing I will look for is someone who is loyal to their brand giving me their opinion. Good luck on your choice. Remember the MXT outdid all others. ;)

Amen. You can have four guys using the same make & model of detector hit a bit of soil and they will have different results on any given day. Every setting effects performance, and differing conditions may favor certain settings or techniques. The guy who minimizes discrimination and notches and plays his detector well will hit deeper, find older targets of buttons and rings, while the guy notched on silver may hit more coins overall as he's only snatching up the "low-hanging fruit". And even the most careful sweep leaves a lot on the fringes of the coil EM field that the next detectorist may hit. , not to mention the soil conditions that effect how deep you'll seek on a given day. Your best bet is to know your detector inside & out and understand what it is doing. The book Modern Metal Detectors by Charles Garrett has some good insights that, while dated, still apply to detectors in general and how they work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread