Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first ever gold coin - 2 1/2 dollar, 1847 O !

Been on cloud nine all day. Also got 3 silver dimes, a copper ID bracelet engraved and a maker's mark of GOLDEN KEY with a skeleton key symbol, wheaties, and some other stuff. Haven't taken a group picture yet cause I'm still reeling!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

Upvote 86
OP
OP
The Sanddigger

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold coin story

Once upon a lifetime find! October 28, 2014 in Virginia started out in the 60's but quickly temperatures were in the mid to high 70's by noon. My hunting partner and I went to a house that we had detected once but it only produced some silver and Wheaties and a window of opportunity opened up. It is in foreclosure, vacant and with permission, we decided to take our time and find more silver. I was in the front yard and Kelley ran from the back saying she couldn't believe what she had just found. A GOLD COIN. But little did she realize a $1.00 gold coin was actually stuck to a 2 1/2 gold coin. So she had two gold coins!! We hugged, I kept saying "WOW" and she showed me the spot.

Within a foot of her target, I flipped out a 2 1/2 1847 O gold coin 1 to 2 inches deep. My Garrett AT PRO is the best machine I have ever owned. I wouldn't trade it for 5 other brands I use to own. I love my Garrett Propointer too! I'm a Garrett Girl all the way!

Thanks for the banner votes and all the nice stories. For those who haven't found a gold coin yet, be prepared. It's hard to fall asleep from the excitement!!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story Ina. You need to do a magazine article about it. Hopefully your pulse rate has come down enough where you can finally get some sleep. Hope its up top on the banner real soon.

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it truly is a once in lifetime find! I am so happy for you!! :notworthy:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding 3 gold coins in one hunt. I'm sure you will remember the feeling for a long time. Can't wait to see pictures of them.

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner, still waiting for the group picture with the other two gold coins.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need better pictures if it's going to make banner...

Jasonlwirt

Sep 15, 2014
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Ace 150, garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. It's good to hear from fellow hunters in the tidewater area. Oceanfront area myself

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a sweet piece of gold right there. Congrats!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I would give so much to be able to dig up a gold coin. Man that would make my day. Major congratulations. Beats my WWI general service button i just dug up. lol

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X from your list and added to mine. Can be proud of this rare find, everyone wish for this kinda coin but only a few dedicated find them. If i find how to do it, banner for sure.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to both of you. Finding one gold coin is a distant dream, finding 2 stuck together is beyond my wildest dreams and finding 3 in one outing leaves me speechless.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. After reading about the other two gold coins found recently, I posted the other day these things happen in 3's, but didn't know you and your detecting buddy would find 3 gold coins in one outing. Guess that makes it a double 3 event. Can't wait to see the other two coins. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread