XLT Centering on target problem

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had some problems "centering in on targets" with my XLT. I have swept back & forth in all directions, centered in & dug for the target and found nothing despite the detector still signaling a target exists. This does not happen all the time and I am still finding objects but is this a false signal or what? The machine is not that old and seems pretty accurate. The object registers as a quarter and the signal is strong. I have gone over this same spot numerous times and cannot locate the target. I am ready to attack this spot with a full size shovel! Any advice?

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Using the VCO will greatly improve your pinpointing experience. I have found with my XLT that my target is always just at the 12oclock position of the inside hole on the coil.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem re pinpointing with the XLT is if DC sensitivity has been increased. Leave it where it is and increase depth by upping the Pre Amp gain. No need for VCO or a pinpointer.

cjrjr507

Sep 24, 2006
Libby, Mt.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi There!
I've had an white's xlt since '96 and to get better pinpointing you can detune the detector useing the pinpoint switch. When you get a signal and pinpoint it just move the coil off target and click the switch then go back over the target and it should give you a tighter and more precise signal. I use this a lot. I've had a lot of loud quarter signals and they are usually are squished beer or pop cans. They are a pain in the butt! But if you get a tight signal in the quarter range that is loud, DIG!

Hope this helps.

cjrjr507

B

Brush Creek

I have found that if I can raise the coil 6" above the ground and it still says 1" or 2" deep it is most likely a can. But it could also be a large mason jar full of old silver coins.

Also I have found and have read in one of my books that if there are 2 targets or coins

X X X
Coin 1 I Coin 2
Will Pin
Point Here

This has hapend to me a bunch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread