mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
I have a used XLT that I am learning to use & have trouble understanding the depth of an object. Example.... I am reading an object that indicates it is 2" down & I dig a can at 6" .Sometimes it says 0" (surface) & will be a fair sized object at 4"-6". I understand practice is the best teacher ,but pointers can be helpful.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector can't really tell what an object is, so it's thinking it might be say a quarter and if it was seeing a quarter with the reading its getting it would have been about the 2" it was telling you. If you pull the detector coil off the ground say 6" and still get a strong signal as good as say a quarter at 2" then you know its not going to be a quarter at 2" because with the 6" you pulled the coil off the ground it should sound like a 8" deep target. You will notice those really deep coins will give you a very faint signal these are usually the old good stuff your looking for that's why a good set of headphones are nice as it lets you hear those really deep faint signals, they sound just as crisp and clear just a really faint barely audible tone and on those very deep ones the VDI is probably not going to be the same as the detector is barely picking it up so the VDI will usually be lower than it would at say 7" or less and these can be really old deep coins. HH

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are,you using the stock coil it came with or an after market bigger or smaller one, ive seem changes in depth readings when ive used different sized coils then what the machine came with

OP
OP
M

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
wingmaster...thank you for the explanation....I am not really sure I understand & christo000 I am using the stock coil. I am really trying to determine if the machine is in need of a checkup . I am working in highly mineralized soil (red clay). I also have a technetics d4000 & it is not doing a lot better.
Thank both of you for your reply.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bury some coins and see what they read. Should be a simple test. The coins in the ground a long time can read a bit different but at least you have a starting point.

OP
OP
M

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
That would fine if my primary search was for coins, I am mostly looking for relics at an old store (tavern) ....don't get me wrong ...coins would be nice.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would fine if my primary search was for coins, I am mostly looking for relics at an old store (tavern) ....don't get me wrong ...coins would be nice.

I understand now, the VDI on the machine that shows nickels, dimes, quarters, etc is its best guess at the size of the object and the composition of the material it's made of if it would be a coin or similar object. If your relic hunting all bets are off. You can raise the coil 6 inches as was explained earlier to help determine the size of the object. You can also pin point and sweep slowly from 2 directions to determine size. Depth will be a crap shoot when hunting relics, you will just have to dig a bunch of targets and try to remember what the detector was telling you and you may be able to figure out some future digs before you dive in. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
Thanks RobRieman...I was hoping it would more like radar in that it could measure the distance regardless of the size or composition.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I do not pay too much attention to the display on depth, I just use VCO audio, and depth is very apparent.

And yes, the depth is meant for coin sized objects, so you can expect to get fooled on a crushed soda can, but they sound larger when pinpointing...

OP
OP
M

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
thank you beerguy.....I have noticed most of the items I have been digging seem pretty big to the pin pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread