Trying to use Surfmaster PI Pro in saltwater

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
[h=2]Trying to use my Surfmaster PI Pro in saltwater[/h]
I tried to use my above listed detector in the ocean yesterday with zero results. I've been getting familiar with it on land with pretty good results, but when the case is lowered into the salt water. it make dual sounding oscillating tones. If I touch either knob, it just makes a loud pulse. When attempting to test it on large metal, it has to be within 3 or 4 inches to detect said item. Since I'm not sure if I'm the problem or the machine has a problem, I was looking for suggestions from anyone here that might have had this situation and what was done to rectify it. Other than that, can I get recommendations about a good service person in the New England area? This unit just came back from White's service center in Oregon and has supposedly been checked out as OK. It was sent to them for a different problem and now has the 12" dual field coil installed.
huh.gif

Any set-up suggestions that might help would be truly appreciated. P.S. I checked and the case is not leaking!
Sternpost​

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start with, have you read the owners manual? It sounds like you just purchased this used. Did YOU send it to White's or were you told it just came back? I have had a PI Pro for years and used it in saltwater numerous times but I have never had an experience like you describe. Is the machine stable on the dry sand?

OP
OP
S

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
It is stable on dry sand and with just the coil in the saltwater, it's when the box get's submerged that the problem starts. I've had good luck on dry land in my yard, if the gain is kept very low, just seems to act crazy when completely submerged in the salt. I sent it to White's three times to get various leaks (coil cable holes) rectified and this last time they put on the 12" spider coil since they didn't have any weighted original coils.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know then.... Mine has never acted differently between above or below the water.

OP
OP
S

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
I'm going to contact White's service again tomorrow to discuss it with them. I have a feeling they'll want it back....AGAIN!
Thanks for you response. :icon_thumleft:

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same machine & only use it on beaches & in salt water. I've never had a difference between submerged & not. Good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know then.... Mine has never acted differently between above or below the water.
I have had mine too for a number of years and never had no trouble from it. Excellent detector. With your problem though I am thinking it is condensation in the case from the change cold water causes. Try a couple stay dri packs from camera shops.

OP
OP
S

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
I'll give those packs a try when it comes back from White's, if it still has the problem after they look it over.
Thanks for the suggestion.:thumbsup:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with Sandman, it sounds like something associated with temperature change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread