XLT preamp gain...help!

Hi all,

Just purchased a Whites XLT and have been toying with the 1723 different functions. I'm looking at these programs (mainly Coinists), how the heck is he able to put the preamp gain up to 12! Mine goes insane when its up higher than 6! I didn't think the soil here in northern IL was mineralized much...any comments or help would be appreciated!
Aaron

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juar because someone says their detector is set at such and such a setting doesn't mean it will work at your area. Nor will you always get the same depth they say they get. Not because they could be telling stories, but there are to many variables at each location.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
preamp gain =threshold ???
not familiar with the whites
try playing with the threshold(drop it down) to bring the preamp up ,maybe....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman is right. Also, not sure if the instructions say this, but be sure to re-ground balance after you've made any changes to your pre-amp gain.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Hello Aaron.

The thing you have to remember about the whites xlt, and well, any other top of the line detector. All that stuff you tweak on, all interacts with other settings. They guy might have been able to turn his up to 12, or he could be lying his ass off. What are the other settings, what kind of coil, what frequency is the detector set on, what size of coil, is there other outside EM interference (ie powerlines nearby, alarm systems, other detectors etc)

The soil makes a huge difference. One thing you need to remember, higher / more power is not always a good thing, or the best thing. If that was the case then everyone would just turn everything possible up to the max and have at it.... it don't work that way. When I first started out I too was worried because I couldn't turn this number up as high as I seen in an article, or I wasn't able to make that number go blippity blip like the other article said bla bla.

Learn more of WHAT each setting does for you, and then WHY, and don't worry so much on how much you can turn something up. Then when it comes time to fine tune, you will know how.

Each machine behaves a bit differently too, I might be able to squeeze a 10 out of mine, you might only hit 9 before it goes bonkers and we are standing right next to each other.

To answer your question though, turn it up as high as you can before it starts to get goofy, then tune it down a notch and run it there. (unless you are running a custom program that purposely has it lower). A lower preamp gain can be compensated for in other settings if you are after depth or sensitivity. Remember a higher gain can also amplify unwanted signals too.

I grew up in chicago area, trust me, the northern ill soil has a ton of mineral shit in it to make detecting shall we say.... interesting.

Don't get too hung up on the 'numbers' ...or to put it another way, don't lose sight of the forest because you are too busy looking at all the trees.

The other Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions