Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI

kbmetald

May 11, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have used an XLT for many years and have found numerous rings. Unfortunately, if you want to find a gold ring guess what you are going to have to dig? Gold has the same electro-magnectic signature as pull tabs and nickels. If you discriminate this out all you will find will be the silver rings. That in itself is not a bad thing, but why limit yourself. Over the years I have been able to tell (not allways, but mostly) if it's a pull tab or not. Pull tabs tend to be choppy sounding unless they are right near the surface and the detector tends to jump back and forth with the signature as if it is trying to make a final determination as to what it is. When I have hit gold rings, especially the larger ones, the detector rings nicely and sits at the pull tab / nickel range. But the number one thing I have learned over anything is "If you want to find the good stuff, you have to dig it all".

Ken

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
very good advice. xlt is the only machine i use, and i love it. although i blew all my fun money for it. stick with it!! 1 day my poor tired ole knees were about to give out from digging pennies i could`ve fainted, hit another penny signal and pulled up a beautiful silver & garnet ring. although it wasn`t gold, i gave it to my mother and she wears it to this day next to a gold wedding band my father gave her so many years ago. i guess what i`m saying is, it`s all in the eye of the beholder and i hope you find your gold no matter if it`s in the ground or on the hand of someone you love.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

The XLT is an absolutely great machine! I've had mine for ten years and I'm still learning new stuff from it!

One of the best things that you can do is go outside and dig a hole about 20 inches. Scan all the dirt around it and make sure that you dig ALL the targets out of it. Then, drop a mason jar lid down in the hole and cover it up!

The lid barely showed up on the preset jewelry/beach and relic programs. So, I'm now devising my own program. Yours would probably be a little different depending on where you live because of ground conditions.

Just PLAY with your machine! It's absolute great fun!

Good luck!
Cavers5

OP
OP
mtbiker

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
Thanks for the tips guys!!! :)

Top Member Reactions