XLT stock coil too tiring; what options?

Marpin73

Oct 5, 2017
Cagliari
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT stock coil too tiring: options?

Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post here.
I own a White's XLT since 2003 and I am very happy with it, but I found the stock coil ( broad scan 25 cm) too heavy and tiring after 2/3 hours detecting at the beach.
Now I was wondering to acquire a smaller coil, but the only one readily available in the Italian market is Eclipse Shooter DD 4X6 which cost 160 Euros. Buying a used 5.3 bullseye from US would imply customs duties and paperwork not worth the hassle..
Question: I read DD 4X6 does not perform very well with XLT, so would be better to sell the XLT and buy the lightweight unit like ace 350 or coinmaster or with DD4X6 coil...OR xlt still outperform those modern medium entry level detectors even with that DD coil?
I hunt most coins and XLT is deadly accurate even if I observed target masking in trashy areas. I am not in search of depth at all cost, 4-inch detection of a coin would be good.
Thank you for your expert advice.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved what my XLT could find but it was just too heavy for me. I have had other machines since but am excited about a new machine Minlab is coming out with, its a waterproof multifrequency land and water machine, supposed to weigh about 3 pounds. That is a pound or more lighter than what you are swinging and should work on salt or fresh water beaches. Expected to be out in a few months.

OP
OP
M

Marpin73

Oct 5, 2017
Cagliari
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice, kindly state exactly the model you suggested. For now, as stop-gap, I ordered a smaller Bluemax 600 coil, hoping the assembly to be lighter than original one.
Questions: what modern and lighter machine matches XLT specs and high performances? range max 800$

OP
OP
M

Marpin73

Oct 5, 2017
Cagliari
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my bluemax 600 coil 2 days ago snd already tested twice.... found 35 euro in 2 hunts. Awesome! Well balance and deadly accurate in trashy areas.
20171025_142627.jpg IMG-20171023-WA0002.jpeg

Attachments

• 20171025_142627.jpg
    20171025_142627.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Marpin, the new Minelab that SusanMn is referring to is the Equinox. It will be coming out soon and is supposed to be I believe in the 800.00 range. I use a Whites MXT All PRO and I have the small 4x6 shooter coil with it. You lose some depth with this coil, but it is great on target separation in trashy areas. Best of Luck to you.

OP
OP
M

Marpin73

Oct 5, 2017
Cagliari
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Looking for a lighter detector, in the end I bought a teknectis g2 with just 2.8 pounds is and feels very light. I will keep my xlt anyway, just to cover medium and high frequency. After 2 field tests, it seems to me the g2 is not much better than xlt, but non need to swing as fast as the xlt to get a steady vdi on screen and it gets coins as the whité 's does....... Just i am digging more bottles caps (11 ' stock DD coil). 20171117_134713.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread