XLT with Bigfoot Loop, need settings

S

stealthb2000

I have a Whites Spectrum XLT with original loop, and the Bigfoot loop. I am looking for the program settings for the Bigfoot loop. I want to set up a secondary program for Prospecting. I have the original program on the detector now, but I don't know what the settings are, and was wondering if I could access the settings to record what they are set at? This will make it possible to add a second Bigfoot program for Prospecting. I know this is an older detector, but I use the heck out of it. I have replaced the display already, and it still works great. If I can't access the settings already on the detector Bigfoot program, does anybody have a copy of the settings?
Sincerely
Bill

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the DFX programme your going to lose to much depth. If you have the XLT handbook it should have the prospecting programme listed for the stock coil. To suit the Big Foot you should reduce Recovery speed not increase it. I would start at 15 and on site drop it down as far as you can to gain extra depth. The Big Foot coil windings are only a couple of inches apart which is nothing compared to the 9.5 coil.
Bottle cap reject has got to be down near minimum the high figure quoted will save noise and some digging but think what you will lose.
I would also suggest you leave DC untouched. Increase Pre Amp first (try it really high). To regain stability AC sensitivity will have to be reduced. Try around 55 to start. Your going to gain depth in both motion and non motion by increasing the Pre Amp but you won't lose the ability to pinpoint because you have not altered the DC setting. No need now to use VCO pinpointing unless you really want to .

wbatchelor

Aug 31, 2005
Hi Bill,
The XLT has a built in Function specifically for the Bigfoot Coil. In the PRO-OPTIONS, AUDIO section, look for "ABSOLUTE VALUE" - turn ON for the Bigfoot Coil. The Bigfoot is designed to send down a signal that looks like a winshield wiper balade - 18" long by very narrow; depth is about the same as the round 8" coil. It's intent was more for coins, artifacts, etc but it has a very hard time seeing Small nuggets. The Detector GAIN will have to be turned Down if in a HI-JUNK area but, may be turned UP in relatively clean, open ground (for prospecting - you would do better with the Blue MAX 6" x 3" coil). You can view the settings of ANY loaded programs by going tho MENU, BASIC (then PRO-OPTIONS) and toggling thru the settings one at a time. The XLT is an excellant detector BUT with 38 adjustments, you definately need the Manual (purchase one from White's - they still sell the accessories for the XLT). Good Luck.
Bill B

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute Value ON's only effect is to use the whole length of the coil when in all metal mode. With it off (the normal setting of the detector) when you squeeze the trigger to pinpoint you only have half the coil live which has the advantage of not picking up so much surrounding junk/mineralisation.
More depth and sensitivity can be achieved by using the discrimination mode opened up to accept all metals than by using all metal with absolute value (well at least on all the ground I've tried). You still have the full length of the coil live. Use the trigger to go into none motion all metal and half the coil shuts down giving you a 7" X 2" coil to play with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread