Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT & X-70 Users...need some mentoring...please

Hi Guys,

I've been solely dedicated to my XLT for many years; I just bought the X-70. I used it for the first time (snow just melted) yesterday. My problem is this: I'm so used to my XLT (tones, clear responce to objects, pinpointing...etc...) that I was disappointed with the X-70 after two hrs of use.

Did any of you XLT/X-70 users experience the same? I need some mentoring or I feel my X-70 will collect dust while I use my XLT.

Also, the X-70 would not sound on a 14K ring lying right on top of the ground...I had to basically put the coil on top of the ring (1" below coil) to make it sound. I was using Pattern #1 with sensitivity set to 24.

I need some help here guys. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because you've all spoken very highly of the X-70.

Thanks in advance,
Angie

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Re: XLT & X-70 Users...need some mentoring...please

I would say your issue is due to noise cancel and ground balance. How were they set?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm guessing because you came home it went well.

The X70 is many times the preformance of the XLT, but it works different for sure. Was there another target under the ring that was being disc. out? We can use more infomation to help you.

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman, Khouse,

Thanks for your replies. I need to spend more time with this machine and just learn it. It's much different than the XLT that's for sure. I didn't mention that I had a young 7-yr old future treasure hunter with me (boss' daughter) who was very much interested in finding treasure...it was hard to consentrate. She was using her brand new Bounty Hunter Jr, finding more than me and having a great time!

I'll keep you all posted but trust that I have not given up!

HH,
Angie

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

I think you are just going to have to spend a little time getting used to the 70. It's a fantastic detector and once you get the hang of it, you won't look back. Go to www.findmall.com and look at the X-Terra section. Read the FAQFAQ post. It is filled with so much great info on the 70. The other posts are great also. It will help you get up to speed quick.

Good hunting, John K

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rifleman said:
I think you are just going to have to spend a little time getting used to the 70. It's a fantastic detector and once you get the hang of it, you won't look back. Go to www.findmall.com and look at the X-Terra section. Read the FAQFAQ post. It is filled with so much great info on the 70. The other posts are great also. It will help you get up to speed quick.

Good hunting, John K
ditto,,, Ang, I too had problems at first and now that I have alot more time under my belt the machine is amazing. just took it to a treasure hunt north of where i live and come home with several walking halves, alot of mercs, wheaties and a gold coin.... if you are still having problems after the faq faq, have your dealer check your machine. I did have problems with a optional coil that it ended up being defective. Sandy at minelab got me a new one to replace it within a few days. After a few weeks of hard hunting the 70 will begin to show you what it can do...Good luck and you will be impressed with this machine,I am and I was a skeptic....(Tesoro)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread